E6K Help               &n

I have an E6K and I am only going to running the fuel side and not the ignition. I will add the ignition portion this winter. Anyway, is anyone running only the fuel side of th E6K. I was told I needed a reluctor to get the trigger signal to the injectors. Can anyone help me out with the setup?

Thanks,

Dave

You need to get some kind of ignition trigger to the ECU.  The fuel injection and the ignition is tied together in the E6K.  The ECU reads the rpms off the trigger.  

It may be as simple as intercepting the trigger from the dist, going into the coil.  I think, it's the white wire coming out of the dist.  As of right now, I don't know at what degrees BTDC the stck dist hits the trigger, but you'll need to know that.  I'll be able to tell you in a week or two.

Take it EZ~

:) ALL YOU NEED IS A MSD IGN 6-A OR 6A-L  CONECT THE DIST CABLES TO THE MAGNETIC TYPE TRIGGER SIGNAL OF MSD GREEN AND PURPLE WIRES AND CONNECT THE BROWN WIRE WIRE FROM HALTEC TO THE TAC OUTPUT SIGNAL OF MSD AND YOURE DONE! IT SHOULD START WITH THE BASIC MAP PROVIDED WITH THE ECU FLOOPY DISK! ALSO YOU CAN START YOUR ENGINE WITH THE FACTORY IGNITION SET UP BUT A LITTLE TRICKY HAVE TO EXPLAINED MORE DETAILED! HOPE THIS HELPS! I HAVE HALTECH EFI IN MY STARQUEST! :D

Thanks for you help. I did go and buy a MSD 6A. On the MSD you have two choices either the white wire or the violet and green wire combo. You can either use one or the other but not both. I was under the assumption I should use the white wire set-up.

Also, I am looking at the Haltech wiring diagram in the back of the manual and the "trigger input" has 6 wires in it and the wire for the trigger is yellow. The only brown wire I could find in the wire diagram is the one in the idle speed plug(idl #1) Doesn't the tach signal go to the trigger input plug of the Haltech?

I am planning on using the stock wiring for the fuel pump. I did use the fuel pump test outlet up by the airbox the other day when I was trying to get it started. It would start because I didn't have a good trigger signal. I was trying to trigger with neg from the coil.

I would appreciate any assistance you could offer.

Thanks,

Dave

I don't think it's possible to use the stock wiring for the fuel pump.  Look at the size of the wire on the E6K harness, it's kinda big.   I ran one of the orange wires back to the fuel (pos.), and the other to the battery distribution block.  Then gronded the Neg. side of the pump to the frame.  If you try to use the stock wiring, you'll be going through the stock ECU and not the Hatltech ECU.  The Haltech ECU runs the differently then the stock ECU.  And since you are running the rest of the car off the Haltech, you will need to run that off the Haltech too.

I can't remeber exactly what color the trigger wire is, but I know it doesn't hook to either side of the coil.  Out of the six that are there, you only use three.  One goes to the Pos. (white) wire out of the dist., the other goes to the neg (black/yellow or yellow).  The grond for the trigger input hooks to the shield wire from the dist. (black).  

As far as the tach is concerned, it's one of the wires on the Neg. side of the coil.  It's the one with a little block on the wire.  It can either hook up to one of your PWM outputs, or the tach out put wire from the MSD.  I'm not sure what color the wire from the MSD is, I used a Accel ignition box.  I use the one from the ignition box, I think it will be more accurate, plus I can use that output for something else down the road.

Let me know if you got anymore questions.  Most of the install issues are still freash in my head, I just did my install in April.

;D SUP! UMM MI MISTAKE! IM RUNNING A F-9 HALTECH ECU YOURE A E6K WELL ITS NOT  A BIG DIFERENCE  JUST THE WIRES CHANGES THEYRE COLOR CODES A LITTLE JUST TAKE THE YELLOW WIRE THAT TRIGGERS THE ECU AND CONECT IT TO THE TACH OUT OF THE MSD!  I RECOMMEND YOU TO HOOK UP YOUR MSD TRIGGER SIGNAL TO THE GREEN,VIOLET PLUG AND TO THE DIST OF YOUR CAR IT SUPOSE TO START EASY! BUT BE CAREFUL NOT INVERT THE WIRES AT DIST CAUSE IT CAUSES THE ENGINE IDLES A LIITLE RUF BUT IT WILL START ANYWAY!  BE SURE TO MAKE THE CORRECT SETTINGS AT ECU PROGRAM LIKE BATCH FIRING  FOR TB VERSIONS ALSO RECOMMEND TO FIND AT YARD OR SOMEWHERE ANOTHER DIST WIRES PLUG TO MAKE A DIRECT PLUG FOR THE DIST AND MSD! WITH OUT STRIPPING THE CAR FACTORY WIRES SAME FOR TPS SIGNALS  ! 8)

Okay, now that I have the book.

Trigger:

A- Ground=> shield wire (black/yellow)

B- Trigger=> pos. wire from dist. (white)

C- Input A

D- Input B=> neg. wire from dist. (black or yellow)

E- Home

F- +13.8V INJ

And if you want to run your tach off the E6K, you'll have to use the Aux output wire, on the ignition output plug.

WELL ITS NOT  A BIG DIFERENCE  JUST THE WIRES CHANGES THEYRE COLOR CODES A LITTLE JUST TAKE THE YELLOW WIRE THAT TRIGGERS THE ECU AND CONECT IT TO THE TACH OUT OF THE MSD!  I RECOMMEND YOU TO HOOK UP YOUR MSD TRIGGER SIGNAL TO THE GREEN,VIOLET PLUG AND TO THE DIST OF YOUR CAR IT SUPOSE TO START EASY!

FOR TB VERSIONS ALSO RECOMMEND TO FIND AT YARD OR SOMEWHERE ANOTHER DIST WIRES PLUG TO MAKE A DIRECT PLUG FOR THE DIST AND MSD! WITH OUT STRIPPING THE CAR FACTORY WIRES SAME FOR TPS SIGNALS  ! 8)

By the way it sounds, there is a big difference from the F9 to the E6K.  If you do this you will by-pass all ignition funcations of the E6K.  And there is no TB funcation on the E6K.

Quick run down of ignition:  The engine has to seen a signal to the E6K, to tell it when to fire, via some kind of trigger.  That trigger tell the ecu when to start ignition cycles.  Of course the cycle is the program.  And at the propery moment, the ECU will signal to the ignition box.  The ignition box and coil will do they'er thing.  Henceforth, fire the plugs.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, now that I have the book.

Trigger:

A- Ground=> shield wire (black/yellow)

B- Trigger=> pos. wire from dist. (white)

C- Input A

D- Input B=> neg. wire from dist. (black or yellow)

E- Home

F- +13.8V INJ

And if you want to run your tach off the E6K, you'll have to use the Aux output wire, on the ignition output plug.

No, you dont! hehe

Just hook up the tach the same as stock (off the -VE side of the coil).

Joel