Megasquirt

Ok, I have a question for all the megasquirt guys.

I am building a 350 rwhp daily driver/occasional autocross car and am trying to build the car on a budget of $5500.  In order to meet this budget my only real options are a Megasquirt stand alone or a used Haltech F9.  Basically I need to know if the Megasquirt is fast enough (computation wise) to handle this kind of power and is reliable enough to be in a daily driven car.

Also, if anyone can give me some advice on tuning one and just how hard they are to wire up and tune.  I love the idea of a $150 stand alone, but hate the idea that I am going to have to build it, not a big deal, just want to know if its a rip off and won't work or if it will be a good set up.

well there are a few guys that have it running.  im going to be building mine this weekend and my plans are for a 500hp motor so i sure hope it can handle it;)  yes it will be able to handle it.  on a budget of 5500 thats a big budget.  im looking under 2grand:)

if you havent joined the yahoo megasquirt group i suggest on doing that. you will get a lot of emails a day but there are tons of guys on there that have cars running and are making high horsepower.  They are also working on an ignition system so be on the look out for that.  wiring its pretty simple.  look over the MS site for awhile and download the megatune software and take a look at it.  its real simple to tune it looks like.  Im thinking of getting an egt probe to help with tuning for mine.  eeaston has one running on stock tbi.  i think supturbo almost has his done and locquestmonster i believe has one hes tuning now. im hoping to have my board done saturday but my car wont be on the road so i cant tell you for sure about the tuning.

good luck

I am also interested in any info about the Megasquirt.  I am thinking of trying to get it working on my NA Rx7 first because my Quest is still in the 'getting together' stage.  I look at the Megasquirt as a hopefully low cost Fuel management system for my eventual move to MPI.

Who has one working on their quest? IF you do chime in please with what you had to do (please share :)!

well there are a few guys that have it running.  im going to be building mine this weekend and my plans are for a 500hp motor so i sure hope it can handle it;)  yes it will be able to handle it.  on a budget of 5500 thats a big budget.  im looking under 2grand:)

If you build a 500hp car for under $2k I'm an idiot.  I hope to God you're talking about your engine "control" budget and not your complete start to finish, stock to 500hp budget.

nope chip i mean it all.  the car was free.   Ive got the stand alone comp almost done with all the parts for around 80 bucks.  i wont bore you with all the details but the big money is gonna be if i buy a new turbo and also some block work but the machine shops around here are very reasonable.   i think my 2grand limit is very reasonable for now but i do plan to go over it  but not by much. im hoping to have the car done in a year but the mpi will be done this summer and hopefully ill get a jump on the exhaust manifold so then i can tune and start building another block.  im hoping for 400rwhp so i can take a run at your car chip;)  

wow, more power to you man. You'll bring new meaning to the term budget racer if you can accomplish your goal.  Hell if you come anywhere near it you'll be in a class by yourself as far as cost is concerned.  I like it.  keep us posted