Clearing out Taillights

Mystic_21

Well I'm sure everyone has seen the cleared taillgiths with some instructions on this page (for those who haven't)

http://home.talkcity.com/SpeedwayDr/vinc1/clearlights.html

Of coarse I try this and the lights melt begin to deform before the glue gets sticky enough to come close to breaking lose...  My oven must not be meant for this   :-/

I was wondering if anyone else tried this had any problems.. or if anyone has done this and would like to sell them to me..  i already have to buy at least one light since it is now hanging on by one of 6 bolts.... so i figure if someone has it done i mine as well by that...

thanks

Jae

I'm gonna make my own since I have an extra set from a parts car except I'm going

to use the LED type that the larger truck's are using now . There are several styles to choose from oval 2"x6" in red and amber (which has sequential >>> arrows blinking) or red solid LED , 2" round with 6 LED's in them , 4" round with 10 LED's or with 44 LED's which is bright as heck . The most expensive are the 4" with 44 LED's 30.00 each but some truck(18 wheeler) parts houses offer life time warranty on these .

Peace Geo

When I go into work tonight, I'll try to snap a picture of what they look like.  I've got a brand spankin' new Volvo 770 with a torn air line that's waiting for meb.  Pretty nice truck, Cummins Signiture Series 600 (600hp, 2,000+ ft lbs of torque), 13spd, Forrest Green with 10 Aluminum rims, 6 disc CD changer, the list goes on.  The guy that owns this truck is the owner of a trucking company, has a fleet of a good 75 trucks (all brand new Volvos, although they're all 660 models), let's just say that he's pretty well loaded.  Anywhoo, the tractor LED's all around, so I'll try to get a picture.  

If not, I'll atleast have fun cruisin' around in that truck. :)  hehe  For a big ol' semi, that sucker hauls tail!  

hows it goin.   Im working on the pic of my lenses it should be up tonight.  i will try to get it here to show you   im looking for around $100  (but willing to come down) or some 86 engine parts. im definetly willing to trade for needed parts

Okay...I have never done this process on a Starion, but I did have luck doing it on another car, a 300ZX.  There is a similar write up on many Z forums, and the process is almost identical except the oven part.  You do need an oven yes, but with my Z, you preheat it to 400 degrees, and instead of putting the light in the oven, which will surely melt most plastic, as you have found out, what you do is place the light on top of the oven door, with is slightly open.  This way the light is not really in the intense oven, but the heat is still billowing up onto it.  Now the adhesive holding the Z light together is some type of tar, I am sure if people have had luck on the Starions with the heat method, this would probably be an alternative to "baking" the light.  Here is the link for the Z write up http://www.z32.org/html/cleartails.shtml, it has a pic of the oven door method if it's still fuzzy.  Hope this helps, and if anyone has a Starion they want to trade for a nice little Subaru, I'm your man, haha.      

StarionTurboESiR@aol.com

I'm gonna make my own since I have an extra set from a parts car except I'm going

to use the LED type that the larger truck's are using now . There are several styles to choose from oval 2"x6" in red and amber (which has sequential >>> arrows blinking) or red solid LED , 2" round with 6 LED's in them , 4" round with 10 LED's or with 44 LED's which is bright as heck . The most expensive are the 4" with 44 LED's 30.00 each but some truck(18 wheeler) parts houses offer life time warranty on these .

Peace Geo

I have a set like this, they look awsome, however, I don't have any pics to show them

Thanks for more help on the light clearing thing.... i'm just afraid that im going to screw up again. If I had a lot of spare tail lights laying around I'd try.. but im a poor  :'(  ....   so if anyone has tried and is successfl and feels like making me some... please e-mail me with your price.    I'm also intersted in the truck clear out tails you are refering too... if only there was a picture somewhere....  where did you get yours from Ryan?

Thanx once again

Before you mod you taillights be sure its legal.  IN DC / MD and VA its illegal to use clear taillights and colored bulbs unless your a emergency vehicle.  The cops will give you a fix it ticket or defective equipment ticket.  The Hundah folks can get away with it because their clear lights have red lenses.  Cops are d**** around here.

Hugh

I cracked the first one I tried. Not a bad crack, but one none the less. Some are easier to remove than others.  I painted the mirror back Bright Red and it looks very unique. I really had no choice, since my right side was all faded and rusted. I was a little disappointed in it I must say, but once I added the Red LED bulbs, I changed my mind very quickly. it looks very wild at night.

"where did you get yours from Ryan?"

They were on my parts car when I bought it, he said he got directions somewhere on the net to clear them. Then used tractor trailor lights on the inside, allthough they have cracks in them, they look sweet. They would be legal because there red lenses inside, wether the outside is clear does not make a difference, hell you don't even need the outside, there trailer lights, that's what there for.

I just got done with mine.  I had a fukt up one here so I tried first with that one and the oven technique.  Fukt it up more.  I think 400 is a little high for the temp.  I did the next one with a hairdryer.  Look on the back of the light itself near the outter edge and you will see little clips that are part of the lenst that hold the 2 together.  Focus the heat on the back there and count to 30 normally.  Don't pause in between numbers or draw them out.  Then give the area on the lens side a nice bit of heat.  Again count to 30 and just keep waving it around a 3-4 inch area.  Now take the screwdriver and push hard where the lense and the black assembly come together and push down between them to make the little clip come down just a little and then pry them apart.  Do this at every little clip and their surrounding areas and you'll be done.

Good luck

cleared mine out today. pre heated the oven to 170 with a pan of water in the bottom. i left them until the plastic became rubbery probably a little to long. they came right apart. i hope hugh is wrong about VA but probably not there d**** here. one of mine is all rusted inside but i have a spare and will clear uot soon when i get a ticket ill post in the for sale area. try the water it seemede to easy. also dont pry on the sides. the top and bottom are stronger.

• 1 month later...
I tried this and a heat gun works just as well.  The only thing is you have to be careful pulling the clear section off.  After that I cleaned the glue out and put it back in.  I have a set of leds in them right now.

I love clear tail lights.(much more then altezza's)..I am from Toronto and I have had them for almost 6 months now and i don't have any problems with a cop yet... and it is illegal here.... most of the time they pull you over if they don't like your car (example..they pull honda's over for anything they do... :-/) anyways... they can basily get you for anything you do....the clear tail lights just gives them an excuse to do so....... so as long as you drive save and try not to pass them with the clears you should be okay!  ;D

• 10 months later...

I know this is bringing up an old thread but none of the pictures are linked anymore. Would anyone have any pictures they could send me at Tlawler@ureach.com of the cleared out taillights. I think this would be cool on my V8 Quest.

Thanks,

Trek Lawler

K.C. MO.

I used hot bath water to clear mine out, took about an hour, but I didn't want to warp the lenses, here's a pic.

http://www.tristarion.com/images/personalpics/thumbs/1051923189.jpg

I have the APC LED bulbs, $8 at Advance Auto. Can hardly see them in the day, but at night you get three little red dots.

• 1 month later...

mine came with them. i don't no how the guy who had it did it. but he had LEDs in it and it got burned and warped in the back pretty bad. so i baught standard bulbs that are colored red. they look pretty kool. i don't know how to post pics. yet though.

sum1 tell me how and i will.