headlight conversion

MoMagnum

the bodywork in the front on that car is a little shoddy.  doesn't line up very well.  otherwise it looks pretty good.  don't see a point to air vents in the rear fenders except to create more drag and slow you down.

function over form

if it doesn't make your car faster, lighter, or handle better, you don't need it...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are kidding? Right?

OK I FINALLY HOSTED THE PIC MYSELF TO SHOW EVERYONE SOME SICK IDEAS FOR THEIR QUEST..me i am doing the rear feder design myself (within the next 3 weeks) and i am doing the supra tail lights also...PREPAIR TO DROOOOL!

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/205000-205999/205543_178_full.jpg

hey guys not tryin to argue the point but well...didnt the wide body fenders slow us down a bit (i think i read that in the FaQ area) so if were complaining that if it dont make us faster then y bother well in that case we might as well sell our wide body parts to get flat body..i personally love the lines of the wide body so i wouldnt do it but hey i like the rear fender idea (looks kinda unique) i dont like the lights tho..im redesignin that car on photoshop to make it look better i will post pics

actually you guys have some good ideas but check this out, 97-99 honda prelude lights have almost the perfect shape and with minor bodywork should fit with ease not to mention the aftermarket carbon fiber housings, HID conversions and so on!

has anyone thought how to keep the stock headlight covers down with the pop up motors removed?? i sure would like to get those things out of there.  head light alignment and removal is also a small issue to work out.  im still thinking a one peice header panel and pop up covers could be the way to go.  lots of good ideas on this thread, keep em comming.

• 3 weeks later...

After looking at zillions of front headlights as posible replacements

I am starting to settle in on 88-91 Honda Civic units.

The resons are:

1. they would fit in the space with less body work than any other unit I have seen;

2. They are angled about the same as the SQ front facia between the headlights;

3. They are rectangular in styling, the same as our cars;

4. There is a large number of aftermarket projector units you can get with various colors (black, chrome, blue) etc.

5. The aftermarket units are plastic and lightweight yet include the adjustment

mechanisms.

Comments?  

My earlier post:

actually you guys have some good ideas but check this out, 97-99 honda prelude lights have almost the perfect shape and with minor bodywork should fit with ease not to mention the aftermarket carbon fiber housings, HID conversions and so on!

I personally think that these would fit the profile of the car much better

I belive that if you look closely at the 97-99 Prelude lights you will

see that they are angled too far back side to side.  The Prelude has

a much pointier front and the lights have to match the angle.

They are very nice looking lights and I wish they would work,

but when I looked at them up close I felt it would take a lot of

body work to get them to fit.

Wow that was a long thread. Ive heard some good ideas, and I agree with the old school about the pop ups. But I have to let them go, im making my own projector conversion. I went the Mitsu dealer and got a price of 89 bucks for a set of HID fog lights. They are small enough and are rated at 130watts. my set up will have a projector circular (my motif in the car is circles, speakers enclosure ect) and a set of PIAA 180watts. Ill be able to blind a dear at 2 miles LOL.  For those that want to try it out here is how im going to do it.

1. make a cardboard template of the area

2. copy that over to balsa wood

3. do the same with the opeing of the lights (circle or what ever)

4. glue the rings to the balsa housing

5. cover the wood with felt or some kind of stretchy matieral (old audio installer trick)

6. fiber glass the matierial

7. sand sand sand

8. prime and paint

if my insturctions were too stupid or hard to understand, go to any car audio mag and follow the steps for making speaker encloseures out of fiberglass.

I hope it works, Ill send pics when/if I ever get done.

Papa O

Sure.

;D

I've seen that mod done on Toyota Supras.

I'd prefer that than to changing the Conquest-Starion into a GT3000 and removing the "flip" head lights.

Come on, if you grew up in the 80s (instead of born in the 80s) you'd know how much every little boy wanted those "flip up" lights. There are hardly any cars left with this style of headlight (maybe the NSX and a couple others) and you wanna get rid of 'em. I don't get it? :-/

Blue

;D

HAHAHA...i know what your saying man...i love flip up lights...they were the hot shiznit back in the day!!!!!

You know how the prelude has that angular blocky body line that follows the shape of the headlight up the hood? I plan on transfering something like that onto my 88 IF I decide to get rid of the flip ups, I love them but I also want show trophies to go along with good timeslips!!! Right now I have the sealed beam to H4 conversion with hyper blue PIAA's and police issue strobes, I want the phillips HID conversion but I just cant see spending ~$600 on headlights as a good financial investment right now. Maybe if I in the lottery!! ;D

Peace

Keith 8)

I've thought about replacing the popups but i havn't seen anything that really suits yet. On tokyo highway battle 2 u can replace the popups on the 180 and it looks really good. Can anyone post a picture of a replacement from the original pop up housing? That 3000gt mod isn't what i'm looking for

the only thing i'm finding so far is the fact that a clear lexan housing isn't looking too good on these cars.  on cars like the 180sx and the miata, the cover follows the hood line nicely and blends in.  the fact that our covers bend are making more of a challenge in making them look right.  i'm still tinkering with mine, but it's becoming a pain to get them to look halfway decent.  i may just scrap this idea and go to a "sleepy eyes" popup style look.  i've always liked that anyway.

i don't think so, they are quite different as far as the actuators go.  i'm going to try to come up with a shortened actuator to push the light up about half way and possibly put in a smaller rectangular light, and also replace my foglights with a low beam headlight to get more light down in front of the car.  i'll post pics of progress if i make any.

Again I was thinking about using the lower clear lenses off the 1st gen Eclipse that's the little clear lens that's under the pop up headlight.  Well anyways, either use it or make a mold of it and put a couple of projector beams behind it and that would be pretty sweet I think.  Juat a thought.

Here's a picture of those sleepy eyes headlights on a fiero.

http://www.fiero.nl/gallery/Mods/Silhouette1.jpg

And here's a typical Fiero headlight setup

http://www.fiero.nl/gallery/Cars/980531-001.jpg

I'm not real sure how the quest motor works, but the Fiero headlights stop when they hit a bumper. Fiero guys are just lenghtening the arm that its the bumper until they get the heigth they need. Maybe someone could see if this would work on a quest.

I've always had the idea of taking off the metal top part of the headlight, cutting a slot about 3x6 in it, and then welding it to the hood. Then, I would gut out the whole stock motor/headlight thing, install a bracket going from side to side in place of the motor and installing lights on that bracket. You would have easier access to the lights when raising the hood and have a lot of choices for lights. Whatcha guys think? I have sketches but can't figure out how to post them.    

Sure.

;D

Come on, if you grew up in the 80s (instead of born in the 80s) you'd know how much every little boy wanted those "flip up" lights. There are hardly any cars left with this style of headlight (maybe the NSX and a couple others) and you wanna get rid of 'em. I don't get it? :-/

Blue

;D

Hey I was born in the 80's and I love the pop ups.  I mean yea I have thought about it but it makes the car what it is.