coolant temp question

alp247

Ok I guess I have been changing the wrong sensor because I have not been able to get my gauge to work in the cluster panel. when looking from the driver side of he engine bay starting from the front of the engine there is a 2 prong sensor (assuming this is the gauge temp), next is the sensor that for the AC that is connected to thermostat housing, and then there is this other 2 prong sensor. What is the function of that sensor do? I think I installed the thermo sensor for the cluster in that location?

just FYI this is a 1989 auto so think its different than a manual sensor. part numbers would be great so I can order them

You may be ordering the wrong part. The temp senSor is for the ECU. The temp senDer is for the gauge. Sensor is 2 pin pointed up and has an oval shaped black plastic end for the pins. 88-89 sender is 2 pin pointed to the drivers side. 83-87 gauge sender is 1 prong.

86-87 auto AC cars have a temp switch near the heater core that controls the heater in auto mode. It tells the computer when the coolant is warm enough for heat so you don't get cold air blowing on you during warmup. It works in auto mode set below 90 degrees.

For the 88-89 cars they moved that temp switch to the gauge sender. That's why 88-89 cars have a 2 prong sender. If the OEM plastic holder for the 2 wires is missing it's easy to plug the wires in the wrong spot.