Distributor issue

Keoni1113

Replaced my vac advance on the distributor. Had to finalgle with the rotor to get the advance arm onto that little peg notch. Now my car isn't starting. I'm thinking I threw the timing off. Fsm pics don't match the actual distributor. Anybody have any pics of how to time and set up the rotor and cap?

That is what I'm working on now. Wires completely fell apart on mine. Couldn't find a new one anywhere. Trying to rebuild it by splicing new wire om

... Huh... Replaced vac advance, respliced the pick up coil wires, realigned the rotor as well as the gear according import warriors guide. Still no start... I'd if I'm doing it wrong or its something else thats broken. Gonna take another Crack at retiming it tomorrow

Also just replaced spark plugs and wires. Everything else was running fine till I messed with the vac advance. Didn't check tps. Got plenty of fuel. Didn't check pump though

• 3 weeks later...
An update: I couldn't figure it out so I had it taken in at a local shop. He thinks it's the ignitor or wire going to the master relay cuz there is no power getting to it. At least that's what I could gather from the phone conversation we had. I'm already a bit of a newb when it comes to cars and the electrical aspect goes over my head. Fingers crossed he can find the loss of power without tearing out all the electrical.

Naw, I replaces the vac advance and then it wouldn't start. Figured I knocked it's timing out of whack. Removed it to readjust it when I noticed the wires were pretty brittle. Then I replaced the wires, still no go. Edited by Keoni1113

Okay, if that's the diagnosis he gives me I'll take the car back and search for one here on the forum. I'll keep everyone posted on how things are going.

• 2 weeks later...
Update: still no luck, current theory is the master relay, or whatever relay is down by the heater box. Not sure yet, the mechanic I have working on it is going to have a friend who knows older cars better to run his own diagnostics to be sure.

• 2 months later...
An update albeit a disappointing one: After six months away with a local mechanic here i am getting it towed back to my place with no progress. Since it had been sitting for close to six months, my next project is to simply pump all the stale fuel out of the lines and tank and sand the rust off the hood. The only real bright side is that the mechanic didn't charge me and is paying for the tow to my house at cost to him.