'88 Starion REVVING WAY TOO HIGH!!!!! Boost gauge goes berserk.

stesir

The car is a 1988 Starion ESI...It hadn't been started over the winter. It was has new LSP injectors, turbo re-built, tune-up, coil.. Then it was started little bit ago and blew out huge amounts of black smoke and with back firing. It also started REVVING really high when started from 2000 rpm and going upwards to higher than 3K+. It also didn't re-start...Also, touching the gas pedal makes it go higher and no kick-down...

Put in an ECU actually from an '86(cannot recall if that owner upgraded to a later year car) would have to find my notes, that had Halmeter FCD-Fuel Cut Defenser. Didnt' put the FCD on just mentioning it. Also, added some STARbrite? fuel additive-blue stuff that improves quality of gas. Fuel gauge shows 1/2 tank...also the boost gauge is going berserk and fluctuating and pegging with the key in the on position and running...

With this ECU the car ran much better but still revving way to high..

Thanks Much for your help!

where is the boost gauge connected to/hooked in to?

Also, when the car warms up it is not re-starting..

Put in new another t-body, new fuel filter and ecu coolant temp sensor no change.... :wacko:

Thanks.

HHHHHMMMMM!!! Interesting problem.

How did your Lady run before you shut her down for the Winter?

Big cloud of black smoke on initial cold start up indicates, to me, that you have a "sticking open" fuel injector.

Did you put any gas stabilizer in the fuel tank when you shut your Lady down for the Winter? If not, you may have a fuel injector that's sticking from the ethanol gunk in the gas tank or resident in the fuel injectors over the Winter.

I'd pull the injectors and have them tested and cleaned; and drain the gas tank of all of the old crappie ethanol gas that's in it, flush out all of the ethanol sludge in the bottom of the tank and change the engine house HP fuel filter. If you don't flush that sludge out & change the filter again, you may regunk up your cleaned fuel injectors.

This may be off the wall, but pull the vacuum line coming off of the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator going to the TB. Does it smell from gas? If so, the regulator's diaphram may have a leak that's dumping gas directly into the intake manifold.

As far as the boost gage going nuts, it may be a result of a "sticking open" fuel injector. Or, hopefully not, you have either a wiring problem somewhere or your '88 EFI ECU has an internal fault.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

PS - Been thinking about your problem today. Colin, in reply #2, may be right about a stuck ISC. With the MPS/ISC assembly removed including the electrical barrel connectors disconnected, start your Lady up and see if you still have a high rev situation. If you don't, then the ISC pin end and/or it's TB throttle linkage tab contact area is either dirty or corroded.

If they are clean & the pin is stuck out, then you have to carefully disassemble the MPS/ISC and remove the 27 year old grease in the ISC worm gear assembly. Then regrease the worm gears with Lionel Electric Train grease. Be carefull of not ripping the gasket between the MPS and ISC housings during disassembly and make sure that you remember the orientation of the funky looking spring on top of the ISC so you can reinstall it correctly.

Let us know what you find.

right it was flooding out everything..

But I neglected to mention I replaced the whole dashboard with 1 from an '86. Just because of aesthetics, what a dummy! :angry: Should have never done it, what a waste of time and making the car run bad. (Post in restoration section) Anyway, made a bit of progress...Used the '88 wiring harness to plug the gauges in the correct year for the car(instead of the '86) and the boost gauge is normal again. Smoke is better. Also, the '88 ECU is back in. It is now doing a pattern, starting up will rev @2000 for 2mins then kick-down to normal. Engine sounds good. Maybe I can post a sound bite ? Also, sometimes not re-staring when hot. I'm about to throw in the towel... :( I've got t much to do and another bigger project to get to...Have not done anything to fuel/tank...

Thanks

Also, the throttle body was re-done, and the oil was changed which seemed to have gas in it...the car ran started up after no-starts with the bad/old oil...I didn't get enough Stabil in it over the winter tried to cheap it. But I never had a car where I did all this work/money and it's far worse...it's got single fan and put on the missing shroud for that for example.