GM alt conversion questions

allen405

My issue is I've always had problems with the stock alts. When your sitting in traffic or idling its like its in a state off discharge and when I rev it, it starts to climb backup. No other vehicle I've had has had this problem.

Would a GM alt eliminate this problem?

Heya Dwayne, hows the winter treated you? It sounds like what you really need to do is clean up all your grounds associated with the charging circuit. I know my durban car had issues with a very bouncy voltage meter when I had the turn signal on etc. What I did was used the service manual to track down all the grounds on the car, cleaned those, and then replaced my fuseable links in the engine bay. I also cleaned all the connections associated with the fuseable link box. You can get all the fuseable links from DAD on here.

After doing all that you should be pretty good. Now my car's volt meter doesn't move at all when I have my headlights, turn signals, and wipers on.

If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me man.

Edited by speedyquest

FYI on the stock unit. In my automotive electric course we tested the oldest and highest miles one out of my parts pile and it did respectably @ over 90 amps. And that is with a loose belt and low rpm's

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/stRION%20ALTERNATOR%20BENCH%20TEST/2013-10-23102333.jpg

Winter was good I guess. Just got my quest out of storage this past Sunday, it was good to drive it again. I'm really not too Concerned about painting it anymore as it still has some body damage from getting hit behind the passenger door last season. I'd like to find a different body actually