Modified Altitude solenoid?

Revhead

Is there some modification to the altitude solenoid that is common to do? I'll get a pic tomorrow, but mine looks like it has a wd-40 straw stuck to the side of it. TheMAF line isn't connected either, but there's no way it would fit that tiny straw anyway.

I think there is an altitude solenoid inside the MAP sensor on 86 and earlier cars. There is one port on the MAP sensor that the solenoid opens every once and a while to read the atmospheric pressure. Usually there is a vacuum hose connected to the port that measures the pressure from in the airbox but maybe the PO wanted to delete that line or the port snapped off. Edited by T-Harps

Huh, I never heard of that solenoid before. But most of my knowledge is with the 87-89 cars. Learned something today, thanks.

I would say if yours was broken and poorly fixed then make a post in the parts wanted section. Someone should have that part.

The ports on the altitude solenoid tends to break off.I did a similar replacement mod using one of the other solenoids(like the one in the pic)from the throttle body for a member here before...just have to figure out which port goes where.

Jerry L.

• 3 weeks later...