r154 noise

My 2j swapped car has developed a noise I can't explain.

It was only happing with my foot off the gas engine braking at low speed

Now it happens alot more. Its like a grinding brake noise that seems to come from where the driveshaft goes into the transmission.

Today I put the car up on jack stands and put it in second gear. I couldn't replicate the noise I had been hearing until I pushed the brake down And the gas putting load on the engine and the noise got LOUD.

I crawed up under the car and it sounded lime it was a rear brake so I went around and it wasn't so I got my buddy to come and brake torque it while I was underneath and it seems like its the drive shaft but its right at the back of the tranny?? Any thoughts?

Thanks- Curt

while on jacks, check to make sure your forward drive shaft u joint in not rubbing on the back of your transmission output shaft shield. it will make a very loud grinding sound. I found mine out of round and could not straighten it so I just removed it from the back of the tranny. it's only pressed on the end and can easily be removed. good searching! Edited by Kenny G

the shield looks like a round drink cup on the end of you trans. if your drive shaft is installed on the trans, you will see part of the input shaft from your u joint end (if your shield is NOT installed). If you can't see the shaft and the shield will cover it up to the u joint. I hope this helps.

I rekon its the bearings in the transmissions out put side

Side.

Could the drive shaft being out of balance slightly have caused the bearing to fail?

I havent dug into it at all. I drove it to my new house at it is still doing it...sucks ive locatex anothe r154 an hour away. I guess im just gonna throw it on and send the other to marline crawler.

Any idead on what could screw the bearings up? So i can correct it want to avoid pulling the trans out a million times. LOL

Transmission bearings are usually tapered roller bearings which wear over time. Too much power or hard shifting thrusts the shafts against the bearings which create play. There is a TSB on our transmissions about the early models having counter shaft bearing issues. I would assume any manual trans is capable of having a similar problem