Mike's '87 ESI-R

Seeing as how I've had to read the entire FSM cover-to-cover at least twice by now, I think it's time for me to stop spamming the newbie section and start up a proper restoration thread. :P

Here's the back story. I had been interested in owning a Starion for a while, and I happened to stumble across one left behind in a barn a few miles south of Lansing, MI. The asking price was irresistible, so I picked it up. From what I gathered, it had been sitting there since 2009. The previous owner did get it running again, but not for long. I don't know how long it had been sitting before he got his hands on it. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a pretty friggin long time.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/dtownmikebrown/Starion/1655169_10151989778821659_754050729_o.jpg

All it needed was some new rear brakes, a fuel pump, and a secondary injector, and it would be good to go. I figured I'd get it fixed up quick and have some fun with it over the summer before embarking on the full restoration project over the winter. That was the fantasy, at least.

Of course diagnosing one problem led to another, which led to another, and so on. Ultimately, I had to pull the engine and transmission for a full rebuild.

10454244_10152198012276659_1640972048036982133_o.jpg

Same thing happened with the interior, where one funky smell led to another, and I ended up having to pull the entire thing apart. Multiple ecosystems were uncovered. Fascinating stuff.

10497511_10152198011766659_2256352105146550291_o.jpg

It's been an adventure so far. Every single seal, gasket, o-ring, vacuum line, you name it, I never found a single one that wasn't at least questionable. Many of them were completely shot. I guess that's what happens when you leave a car sitting in a barn indefinitely. Meanwhile, the secondary injector was one of the only things that DID work properly.

Right now I'm waiting on the machine shop to clean and inspect my block, head, and rods. My new goal is to get it all back together (hopefully on coilovers) at least a week in advance of the Labor Day autocross at Grattan Raceway. I'd say it's ambitious, but not impossible. The biggest obstacle right now is the $$$. Either way, this thing will be going fast and looking good long before the snow flies.

Yes, you guys both recommended I do that already on my previous thread and I agree that it is an excellent idea. :)

I tried to get them loose with a flare wrench, PB blaster, a torch, and I can't get either of them to budge. They're stuck on, HARD. Since I'm discarding the old lines anyway, why not just cut off the lines right above the flare nuts so I can get an impact socket on them?