can anyone identify these injectors?

kenzie

I pulled my injectors to have them checked, cleaned, and flow tested.

The company that did it said they were an aftermarket injector of some sort.

Do these look familiar?

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy22/kenziedelatorre/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/IMG_20140705_104333_zpsy1ozw2bh.jpg

My car is a 1986 conquest.

I am having some trouble with the header getting red hot. I have worked on timing, valve adjustment, etc.

The injectors came back saying no leaks. He said 1 had very good atomization but 2 had a straight pattern, other than that they both flow well.

Is that pattern good for the second one?

Thanks

Look like delphi injectors. Do they have CC # carved into the side of them? Are you using the little spacers between the upper and lower fuel housing?

Ok, I think I understand the spacers now. So they go on the screws to allow a stable base because the injectors are taller? I see my setup has never had those. I will go find something to work at the hardware store.

So one has a cone spray and one a stream? That's not good. Old style stream injectors were for MPI setups like the early corvettes where the injector sprayed directly onto the hot intake valve. Newer MPI injectors have about a 15 deg cone spray. Stock SQ TBI injectors had about a 45 deg cone spray. If one of your injectors is doing a stream spray instead of cone then the fuel may be puddling in the intake instead of atomizing.

So one has a cone spray and one a stream? That's not good. Old style stream injectors were for MPI setups like the early corvettes where the injector sprayed directly onto the hot intake valve. Newer MPI injectors have about a 15 deg cone spray. Stock SQ TBI injectors had about a 45 deg cone spray. If one of your injectors is doing a stream spray instead of cone then the fuel may be puddling in the intake instead of atomizing.

Could that lead toward the red hot exhaust manifold?

Too much fuel and excess burning in exhaust?

87quest: good thought, but I don't have a cat. 3 inch downpipe with straight pipe to a muffler in the back

Yeah it can lead to unburnt fuel going out the exhaust. Also it can lead to flooding and oil contamination. New injectors are expensive but they may be what you need. Fuel injector clinic has injectors for these cars. They are the later style narrow cone but all aftermarket ones are. The main thing is the one that's just a stream isn't right for the car. It may never run right with that injector.

Check your ignition timing too. Base should be 10 BTDC. If the advance in the dizzy isn't working or it's stuck that can lead to not enough timing advance while driving. That will make the manifold glow red hot.

thanks.

Yeah I may have to invest into some new ones.

Would it be a bad idea to purchase just one injector to replace the one with a bad spray pattern?

I bought a new distributor so that should be fine.

You can replace just the one if you want. But You need the exact replacement. Personally I like replacing both just for the peace of mind knowing both are new and should have zero problems.

FIC may machine their injectors to fit a SQ without spacers. Or they may be machined for a different spacer. If they do then a new FIC injector wont fit with the old one.

the spacers are .635 od .250 Id and .505 thick alum...........just measured ...... your missing a o ring ........ 1 on bottom 1 on neck of injector and a thick fat one that seals top hat......

if its not sealed up........... there will be a fire!!!!!!!!!!! I will find the seals and measure and post up info.............

Edited by markhansenconquest

Mark, could you show me a photo of the o rings you speak of? as far as I know they are setup like they always have been, there are two on the top portion, and when I sent them to be cleaned they came back with two new ones on the top of each.

I have never seen o rings on the bottom.

Mark, could you show me a photo of the o rings you speak of? as far as I know they are setup like they always have been, there are two on the top portion, and when I sent them to be cleaned they came back with two new ones on the top of each.

I have never seen o rings on the bottom.

Don't worry about what he said. The seals in your picture are correct and complete.

the seals I have are 1 on neck (not measuring don't want to ruin u have that one) 2 .140 thick id is .420 od is .700 3 is .212 thick id is .600 od is 1.025.....this is thousands not metric dont have metric measuring tools. maybe u can get new ones from wayne wike ??? Edited by markhansenconquest

I heard something , didn't know ..Spoke to him in 2008 for 1 hour about conquests............RIP WAYNE WIKE.....that's where I got my injectors and filters for gas tank........

3 seals........ (read old post about wayne )....at least when u spoke to wayne u wernt flogging a dead horse.....( lots of INFO ).......he said it like he wanted too.......no holding back...he s not gone yet where still talking about him.........RIP WAYNE........

Edited by markhansenconquest

thanks all for your help.

I went ahead and ordered two new injectors from fuelinjectorclinic.com.

But now the car will not start at all with the new injectors.

I started a new thread about it here:

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143670

Edited by kenzie