Retirement present to me, from me. Apparently I love me.

chiplee

Oh and you might want to let your buddy know that most of the Bimmer forum guys think that enhanced USB BT functionality will be able to be coded. Some folks won't want to mess with that, but worth a heads up. Cool build btw, will be nice and light. I had adaptive susp and HK sound on my build sheet for a while, but pulled them to help fund the executive package. I gotta' have the hud and leather. And I had to get top view for the wife. Can't order cameras without exec pkg.

Yeah he is going to track it often and wants it as light as possible. He is a purest and insisted on the manual tranny, I wonder how much faster the DCT will be?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah he is going to track it often and wants it as light as possible. He is a purest and insisted on the manual tranny, I wonder how much faster the DCT will be?

I think it's going to be quite a bit faster, but I've heard reports of the 6MT feeling faster than the DCT so who knows. If I was planning to track it often I would definitely have the DCT in it. It's one of the best transmissions in the world, and it can do things no human could ever do, no matter how good they are. It actually hurts my lower back to work a third pedal now so the DCT was a must.

Nice car. Big step down from that E ticket ride F/A 18 though. Probably be dreaming about that for the rest of your life!

I moved to a town where I can watch them flying all the time. That's not much help getting it off my mind, but the M3 will have a HUD to help me feel at home.

I think it's going to be quite a bit faster, but I've heard reports of the 6MT feeling faster than the DCT so who knows. If I was planning to track it often I would definitely have the DCT in it. It's one of the best transmissions in the world, and it can do things no human could ever do, no matter how good they are. It actually hurts my lower back to work a third pedal now so the DCT was a must.

I bet the DCT will be a good bit faster but the 6mt will be a better drive, the dct is good but is not Porsche PDK good... I have had the opportunity to attend a few press events lately (I have a good friend who is an automotive journalist) and drove several of these automated manuals back to back and the BMW dct felt a bit less refined than the PDK but both were world class.

I bet the DCT will be a good bit faster but the 6mt will be a better drive, the dct is good but is not Porsche PDK good... I have had the opportunity to attend a few press events lately (I have a good friend who is an automotive journalist) and drove several of these automated manuals back to back and the BMW dct felt a bit less refined than the PDK but both were world class.

Yeah, I mean people are raving about both the DCT and the 6MT for 2015, so I don't think you can go wrong. If you want or don't mind having to row your own gears then by all means, save the $2900. A base M3 is very well equipped, and an amazing bargain, especially at military sales price. Was just talking about this in another thread. You can go 0-60 in 4 seconds, daily drive in luxurious comfort, and track very well for the less than you'd have paid for a 944 30 years ago. We are getting a lot for our money these days, albeit extremely expensive to maintain after warranty.

Edited by chiplee

• 1 month later...

So chip did you get the car yet?

It FINALLY went into production last Monday. It should be complete on Nov 5th and then it's a waiting game for shipping. If there are no delays and it just has to make the 25 day transit then I should have it by Christmas. I made my deposit on 29 April so the wait has been painful, but it's getting close now. Gotta' figure out why the system doesn't reflect ZEC optioned in there, which is executive package.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/chipleeiii/ScreenShot2014-10-30at102505PM_zpsb6b9bb85.png

Edited by chiplee

bet you can't wait.

You could say that, yeah. I'm going to agonize over the remaining days now that it's actually being built. I wasn't expecting it to go into production until 15 december though so this is a great development.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a ton of these all over SEMA. They look great.

I saw pics of a bunch of the SEMA F8x's on the bimmer forums. I was actually driving into Vegas Saturday afternoon watching the parking lot on 15 south hoping to spot one. I ended up seeing a white F80 and a Sakhir Orange F82 vert around town but didn't see any of the SEMA cars. We couldn't make it for the show, but we were there Saturday and Sunday visiting family.

Edited by chiplee

oh year early Christmas present!

Lol, yeah. It was supposed to be a retirement present but that was official two months ago, so we'll call it late retirement/early Christmas. It's sitting at the port awaiting a shipping vessel now. I'm guessing I'll pick it up on December 15th or so.

That build was fast.

Yeah I think they take 7 to 10 days once they start. It's all prebuilt subassemblies. They'll build two completely different configurations on the same line one right behind the other. This should be my car's ride to Port Hueneme... http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/photos/of/ships/photo_keywords:9240160/ship_name:UNDINE

• 3 weeks later...