door hinge replacement

TexasQuest

I got new driver door hinges (upper & lower) to replace my old worn out ones. I know I'll have to remove the fender to access them but how hard are they to replace? Any tips like keeping the door aligned and what to use to hold it up while removing the hinges?

Easy peasy... Pull the fender, leave the door closed and latched, then replace the hinges one at a time. Should keep everything lined up nice and neat as long as you only do one at a time

Is that going to help seal the door better, or is that almost solely on the rubber around the frame? Been having issues with air noise on the drivers door, that goes away if I squeeze it shut.

Wind noise is usually from the weather strip. or a door being out of adjustment. I doubt a hing would be the cause unless the hinge has been adjusted previously to where the door sits out away from the car a bit. Most times it's from the shape of the door being tweaked over the years... The "bar" that goes around the door glass along the A pillar and roofline gets bent away from the car over time. With some care it can be bent back. Start by taking strips of paper and closing them between the door seal and the body. Try sliding the strips of paper around or pulling them out. If there's resistance on the pieces of paper then the seal is pretty good in that area... if the paper slides all around or is pulled out with no resistance, then there's not a good seal there. Once you know what area of the bar is letting in air, you can try and bend that section back a bit. Make sure the door window is down, and use a piece of 2X4 between the latch and striker to keep the door away from the body a bit, then push on the area that had the weak seal. close strips of paper in the door, and see if there's resistance... if so, it's fixed, if not, you have to try and tweak that bar a bit more. Put the 2X4 back in and push on the bad area a little harder, then try the paper again. You'll want to work up to it... try bending a little harder each time til you get it. Don't go big and try to bend it a lot the first time... you may end up getting that area to seal but then ruin the geometry for the seal on the rest of the door.

You can also bend it with the door open by using your knee or body against the inside of the door, and pulling the bar toward you, but I like pushing it.

Of course, this is all assuming you have a good weatherstrip. A ripped or torn WS can make wind noise on a perfectly adjusted door.

Thanks, that was incredibly clear. The weather-stripping doesn't appear torn, so I'll look into gently man handling the door. This is going to make the ride infinitely more enjoyable. Should it come to it, no one makes the weather-stripping anymore I'm guessing?

Thanks, that was incredibly clear. The weather-stripping doesn't appear torn, so I'll look into gently man handling the door. This is going to make the ride infinitely more enjoyable. Should it come to it, no one makes the weather-stripping anymore I'm guessing?

Nope, but there are things you can do to help your weatherstrips last longer...keep the nooks and crannies clear of dirt and grime... that stuff can work like sandpaper on the weatherstrip everytime you close the door. You can also hit them with some spray silicone, which will help keep them protected from the elements, keep them from drying out, and it also helps them seal a bit better