Sort of New to Starquests, need some help

danfev1985

Hi guys my names Danny, i recently acquired a 1988 conquest here in Pennsylvania. It's not currently running due to the starter going out, needing a new shifter and the vacuum lines were never put back after the engine was rebuilt and put back in the car. I've found the vacuum diagram online but i was just wondering if there was anyone in my area willing to help me put things back together, especially the vacuum lines. The starter i can do myself as well as the shifter but i think i'll need some help on the vaccum routing. i was told by the guy that i bought it from the it needs a canister that alot of the vacuum lines come route to. I am located in the Nazareth Pa area, if there;s anyone that can help me out or at least guide me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

An important question that greatly affects how many vacuum lines you will have is, are you keeping all of the EGR stuff on the car? This includes the black box near the distributor, the long pipe leading from the back of the downpipe, a black plastic part thats threaded into the intake, etc.

Yep, these cars can run with very few vacuum lines (5-10) depending on what you want for creature comforts. Heat, A/C, cruise control, ect... I still need to get out in my shop and check on that shifter for you. Busy time of year.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

An important question that greatly affects how many vacuum lines you will have is, are you keeping all of the EGR stuff on the car? This includes the black box near the distributor, the long pipe leading from the back of the downpipe, a black plastic part thats threaded into the intake, etc.

im guessing yes on the egr valve, because i doubt it would pass emissions here in PA.

Yep, these cars can run with very few vacuum lines (5-10) depending on what you want for creature comforts. Heat, A/C, cruise control, ect... I still need to get out in my shop and check on that shifter for you. Busy time of year.

BC_99

yeah no problem, im picking the car up on Friday not to far away, just wanted to make sure i had everything in place to get her up and running again. i would love for it to at least have heat, no a/c i can kind of deal with, i can get rid of the cruise control as well,

Edited by danfev1985

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys i had a few more questions to ask you guys. Would i have to drop my fuel tank to get to my fuel pump or are they accessible from the back seat? Also I have a hose thats plumbed into the chassis of the car

under the air can, where does that go to?Lastly im trying to keep my cruise control i have the vacuum line that goes to it, the canister and a small switch of some sort near the passenger side firewall right in the corner, where does the main hose that goes to all of these plug to for vacuum?

Hi guys i had a few more questions to ask you guys. Would i have to drop my fuel tank to get to my fuel pump or are they accessible from the back seat? Also I have a hose thats plumbed into the chassis of the car

under the air can, where does that go to?Lastly im trying to keep my cruise control i have the vacuum line that goes to it, the canister and a small switch of some sort near the passenger side firewall right in the corner, where does the main hose that goes to all of these plug to for vacuum?

Might be worth it to drop the tank, clean it and do the fuel pump at the same time. But when I did my fuel pump I cut out part of the hatch where the spare is right above the pump and accessed it that way.

Might be worth it to drop the tank, clean it and do the fuel pump at the same time. But when I did my fuel pump I cut out part of the hatch where the spare is right above the pump and accessed it that way.

thanks, ill just drop it. im scared i might cut off to much or not enough and just create a whole mess for myself lol

I did the same thing on my first one too. But dropping the tank isn't that bad. It's easier than cutting the trunk floor then having to make a new access door, like I did.

BC_99

• 2 months later...

I did the same thing on my first one too. But dropping the tank isn't that bad. It's easier than cutting the trunk floor then having to make a new access door, like I did.

BC_99

changed my fuel pump and voila it started up and held idle. shut it of quickly due to an oil leak ( forgot to put my turbo draiin on),. gonna work on it some more today and finish it up hopefully.