window motor or regulator problem?

nasteboyii

I have a 1987 starquest, and the windows go up very slow, and the last 15 percent up extremely slow. Down goes down fast, i took apart the passenger side door, cleaned off the shaft with sand paper and acetone, then lubed with grease, seemed to help just a little bit.

i m not sure if the little white plastic wheel is suppose to spin freely or just slide left to right, if its suppose to spin i would guess that may cause extra stress on motor to slow it down.. i would think?

I had read on here, some say regulator needs rebuild, some say motor needs rebuild

Anyone got any suggests im all ears

i had did some searching and did not find much on window topics

Thanks

dan

Best thing to do is watch the amps when operating the window motor. A cheap amp clamp and multimeter from Harbor Freight Tools. Amp clamp can go on battery cable. You can also power the motor directly and see how it works then, that will tell you if the source power and ground is good.

Another good thing to try is disconnect the regulator mechanically and lift the window up and down by hand to find the spot where it is binding.

Another Quick test can be done to check amp draw...let car idle and turn on lights and fans , now operate the window , watch for lights dimming. High amp draw will dim lights and that is indicating good motor and good power to motor but a mechanical binding that is pulling the amps..

Also when the amps go up (binding) there Is a temperature referenced circuit that sees this and limits current to the window motor.

One more test is have an assistant pull up on the glass to assist the motor and see how it behaves. Does is all of a sudden move fast?

Also there is an alignment adjustment for the glass.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

sounds like i got some tests to do, but one i have done already... i had someone pull up on window and it went faster

but when operating without someone else pulling on it, it never moves fast.. slow from the start, and slower the more it goes up, til the last bit is very slow

ill do more testing as u suggested, and get to back to you

thank you for the quick response

Dan

I had an issue with this same thing and changed and rebuilt the motor and regulator only to find that the switch was getting extremely hot when working the window. I replaced the switch and both work great now. My guess in my case was that the contacts in the switch were corroded or something and it was not able to pass enough current to the motor.

well first thing i tried was cleaning the switchs and connections, then i lubed them with dialectric grease. i noticed the driver side works fine now, and passenger side works fine from the driver switch, but the passenger side slows down to almost stopping with the passenger switch... this is good enough for me for now.... thanks for all your help