The quest for a running 86 Quest

still in a pile on the shelf but soon. the tbi is running very well i might add cant wait to get rid of it though. That turbine was from a holset that came off a buddies truck it ate a piston and i bought the turbo with a free aluminized turbine wooot.

• 4 weeks later...
Well let's do some updating!!! It has been a while since my last post and a lot has got changed and finished. The 16'' electric fan has been removed and replaced with a 83 mechanical fan and shroud. It has worked fantastic and no matter how i treat the car it stays at 185 deg. The Garrett t3 60 trim from a 280zx has a .63 a/r turbine and a rather small wheel spools very good and flows 25-28 lbs-min at 17 psi which makes good power on the street. I Picked this turbo because it was on the shelf and suited the g54b well for daily driver use. The exhaust manifold has held up well as expected it has seen around 2500 miles on the car without a hitch. Most of the under hood wiring has been tucked away and the broken tail radio panel has been removed in favor of a lexan panel to mount the wideband and water temp gauges and well as a red coverd (rocket) toggle switch for the Launch Control that is installed and set to 3k and works very well. I will post pictures of all the porgress and possibly some video's if i can find out how. Till next time guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guy's It's update time!!! I have retro fitted a air tube from a 03 crown vic cop car for the turbo air intake haha. if you do not run a huge filter it fits perfect but some slight of hand is needed because the turbo side that was the throttle body body end is 3'' and the filter or airbox end is 3.5''. I used some slivers of silicone couplers about 1.5'' long to go on the turbo. This t3 is 2.25 od on the inlet of the compressor. So a piece of 2.25'' wrapped in a piece of 2.5'' so it was just under 3'' once on the compressor and it was a snug fit on the cop intake. and it has a pcv tube built in facing right at the compressor wheel. The hose size is like 3/8'' id for the pcv prevision.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/redzedturbo/IMG_20141026_161129_zps3ad340d8.jpg

I used dei titanium header wrap on the downpipe with stainless ties. This stuff is so bad butt and you do not have to use silicone spray. This mod alone cut down sooo much under hood heat i was very surprised!!

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/redzedturbo/IMG_20141026_161151_zpsdf05cc58.jpg

The 16'' electric fan i was running done well but still let temps get up some times. so a mechanical fan was put in the quest and i can't say enough good about this screw all the electric stock stuff this is the way see the light guy's. Works better and cooler plus the weight savings.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/redzedturbo/IMG_20141026_161348_zps6d9942a7.jpg

This car had a busted radio surround when it was purchased so i needed a place to securely mount gauges and the way i had it on page one was temporary. I used a piece of 1/4'' lexan and mounted the electrical water temp (cheap sunpro) and the afr gauge from innovate motorsport along with the launch control switch. Need's vacuumed badly.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/redzedturbo/IMG_20141026_161036_zpsab38e16b.jpg?t=1414363901

• 4 weeks later...
Little Update last night i found some leaking freeze plugs under the intake leaking coolant. Bummer right but a friend of mine also had a to4b turbo he was not using so it got put to use because it was a direct bolt on to the nissan t3 i am using. Boost is strong and still comes on positive at 1700 rpm but is much stronger from there till 5500. When i say bolt on i did not change the whole turbo merely all the compressor goodies from the chra forward fit like a glove. I kinda thought with the tiny t3 standard wheel in the .63 housing and the huge in comparison to4b compressor wheel and housing this hybrid turbo would be a lag monster but quiet the opposite!!!! Will post Pictures soon. Just remember kids T4+20 psi+TBI=Win. Edited by Doctor_Drift

This is the to4b we swapped onto the nissan center housing and turbine. I still have to load pictures from phone.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/redzedturbo/turbos2_zps122edd30.jpg

The mpi manifold and a custom isky grind should help this thing make power over 5500 which it does not want to do as it set's. This thing make gob's of torque from 1700-1800 to 5500 then it just fall's off like many dyno sheets i have seen for g54b's 5500 is the roof for a stock cam and intake. Hell even guy's running 272-292 cams still seem to fall off after 5500-5700!!! I need power to at least 6500 and this thing would be a rocket. I guess im going to run a similar cam as to whats in my buddy's nissan it's like 480 lift and 280 duration and a lsa of 10 or so. This along with the new manifold which is going to blow starquester's mind's should allow power to my soft rev limit of 6600 (hard at 6800). Please comment let the thought flow.

Nope lol. But the head has to come back off to replace head gasket again more than likely im turbocharging the cooling system and thats why the freeze plugs are all leaking now. Also my egr block off plate is leaking so i got to beef it up.

What you got to say about cam selection? All info/comments welcome.

should never be a 'lag monster' if you're still runnig the tiny stock T3 turbine wheel.... considerably strangles hp too

G54 even spools up a much bigger stage 3 wheel and 60-1 compressor quickly, in that 0.63 housing

so many threads on g54 performance cam lacklustre results. Really a 'hit or miss' in starquest land

I too was going to approach Isky, for a g54 camshaft... as it made an mind-boggling difference on my first import project = totally tranforming that li'l wheezer. They musta "got it right"... and spoiled me in the process

Hey thanks for the reply buddy!! I check this post daily and need to post more pictures. The car is coming along nice and fast. Im shooting for 300 wheel for this daily driver project. I feel like im making it in torque just not hp because this damn thing will not make power over 5500 rpm but from 1700 to 5000 it's a rocket. I also used this same turbine on a 280zx that runs consistent mid 12's on 225 street tires. I think it will be okay for 300hp on the g54b hell it's .2 liters smaller than the Z. I have been a loyal customer to ron at isky with fantastic results on all the z cars. Just call him up tell him your set up and what you want he will cut you something that will work BET ON IT!!! Anyways I am going to have to redo all my steering junk for it is loose and sloppy yay me. Man im really ranting tonight huh. AND THE REAR SUB FRAME forget about it. Bushing gone all over the car engine mount also. I have alot to do but it make's a ton of grunt as is, So engine and drivetrain will go on hold for now and poly bushing will start happening. Good night guy's. Edited by Doctor_Drift

Plan to loose the abs soon. But Today was letting it warm up and someone noticed it was pouring coolant and told me. (BUMMER) The water pump looks to be the culprit. So the engine is going on a stand getting some love and thanks for the bushing link man that's killer but 250 bones for suspension bushing That's the highest i have ever seen similar kits wow.

• 2 months later...