Chunks of red foam?

I put my car up on 4 jack stands recently and noticed that a few chunks of red foam fell out near the shocks at the rear. I'm trying to understand what it is and what may need to be replaced. The shocks are KYB GR2 with ST springs. I think the stuff fell out of the bottom of the rubber dust boot on the shocks. Would that be the stock bump stop disintegrating? Edited by CaliConquestAlex

I'm hoping to get a set of the MK1 rear camber plates at some point so I guess when I take the struts off I can check these out then. I don't think the car WILL even bottom out because the shocks and springs are so stiff as is. With this suspension setup I've never bottomed out the car. I think the bump stops are just disintegrating because they are so old. I was just worried that it may be the strut top or something important. So red foam is for sure bump stops? Edited by CaliConquestAlex

I think its the foam balls that came on the shock shafts from the factory and a p.o. swapped them over to the KYBees , ditch em ! well past it and serve no purpose that i can see ..... oh i said "foam balls" on SQC ! :o Edited by SOTTY