Lost power from coil...

bluzcruzer

yessir...I was thinking a new unit from some other vendor, I had an extra igniter and swapped it around as I did other swapping and still no spark, as far as I can tell my wiring looks good...grounds good, new pick-up coil, I have a pulse when the engine is cranked..so not sure where to go from here. May dbl back and check it all again...keep us posted and I will do the same.

if you have a test lamp pulse when cranking , connecting the neg wire back to the coil should give you spark,

the dist will NOT make spark with out a ground to the houseing

the ingiter makes a pulse or ground for the coil neg terminal ,,the coil is powered from the ign swt in on and start position

you can remove or use a diff dist run a block ground wire to dist houseing , then as you spin the dist the coil should spark , doing this makes it easier to trouble shoot the system with out haveing to operate the starter and run down the battery,, make sure you set the engine to TDC so you know where to reinstall the dist ,, and do not hit the starter while dist is out or you;l end up doing a complete retime thing

UPDATE..... Just installed the knock box (thanks METZ). Fired right up. Had 12v to coil and pulse when cranking. It must have been a bad ground inside the knock box. Its alive.... fresh 40 over forged purring like a kitten...

Congrats bottomout...I will be scanning the parts for sales section today and looking for a good knock box for my 87...I found brand new knock boxes for $ 330 beans....so if anybody has a known good 87 knock box, I am looking.

it don't have to be an 87 igniter,, they are the same 84 to 87 ,,83's were different , with connector you can use an 88/89 igniter ,

the 88/89 have 2 more terminals but they are for the boost solonid and can be ignored

Still waiting on a frame and resistor from texas 88. I'm quite sure I lost ground to the dist. body and will try the external hookup you suggest when I get my loop and resistance back. I don't see the internal ignitor stifling the ground...but that its wired differently..it just may be. Edited by bluzcruzer

Still waiting on a frame and resistor from texas 88. I'm quite sure I lost ground to the dist. body and will try the external hookup you suggest when I get my loop and resistance back. I don't see the internal ignitor stifling the ground...but that its wired differently..it just may be.

you can NOT use a caravan internal igniter at the same time while useing a quest knock box

Hang in there Bluzcruzer...I did get my quest up and running with a different igniter( knock box)...sure I spent several hours doing all the checks and re-checks and the whole time it was the knock box...I had an extra knock box that I had purchased from a starquest member several months back that was supposed to be good, but apparently it was not because when I hooked up the other knock box it fired up...so lesson learned. She is running again.

Great news AMG....I am much relieved to here your issue was a simple fix...Seems that 87 model has problems with those, but thankfully there readily available and you had one on hand. I'm still waiting to replace the frame I tossed from the dist.....thinking it was a failed ignitor. Without shelbys input....I would've never known of the 2 different systems....hopefully my dist. ground will return with the frame....otherwise I'll be making one.

• 2 months later...
Well, here it is many wks later and finally, I've got ignition. Turned out, the internal ignitor (in the dist.) powered up the neg. side of coil. Redbaron gave me a frame, during which time I replaced the coil pickup and viola'. Cranked right up after retiming and installing the frame to complete the circuit. So it is running, but, just as poorly as before I started the upgrades....so back to the drawing boards. Thanks all...couldn't have done it with out ya!....See me on the front page with new issues......uuhhh.. Edited by bluzcruzer