1988 Starion Partial Restoration

Colin

if you put a decent amount of clear on you should be able to start at 800 and move up to 1600.. then buff with a buffer... but ask Burton for some tips. he's the paint guy around here

i put roughly 4 coats on. the hood has 5 coats. i did a big no no and cleared on two different days without sanding in between so i just dumped clear on it. i got chased in by the rain and ran out of daylight saturday with only 2 coats on the car. i didnt think it was enough to sand without rubbing through so i just wiped it down and dumped more clear on it sunday. it wasnt all that peely saturday night, but it definitely was pretty peely after sunday. lesson learned- paint inside or watch the weather closely

what color is that?

its merlot from summit racing. im actually not that happy with the color, i wanted it a tad lighter but what are ya gonna do. its hard to judge what a color will look like from a 2 square inch sample on a computer screen.

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I updated my car. I've put around 5,000 miles on it since the build; it's my daily driver. The transmission started to get really bad- grinding when it's cold, clinking and clanking into gears, so I finally got annoyed enough to change it. I did the job last night and it went pretty well for the first time doing it on my car- took about 3 hours give or take. I started into it after we finished our last car yesterday at about 3:30 and had my cousin who just started working with us help me a bit. I was driving out the door with it at 7:00. I installed a Mookeh short throw shifter, 89 flywheel (thanks Amonje123), F1 stage 2 full disc clutch set, and filled it up with GM Syncromesh.

I was sure surprised when I took the old trans out; the engine was rebuilt 10k miles ago according to PO

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r767/colinturbo88/IMG_3934_zps301ba218.jpg

yay! a like new centerforce dual friction clutch and pressure plate and an 89 flywheel! I can get the flywheel turned and put it all in my next quest :)

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r767/colinturbo88/IMG_3935_zps0712c56e.jpg

getting the old flywheel off

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r767/colinturbo88/IMG_3937_zpsa412c38e.jpg

Out with the old in with the new (dad helping with the fork/release bearing)

I must say it drives like a dream now. A few things are gonna take some getting used to; I've tried to start it in 3rd twice thinking I was in 1st because of the shifter, and the new clutch set isn't as hard to move in and out ( at least it's easier on my knee) The short shifter is amazing though. I would definitely reccomend it.

Edited by Colinturbo88

• 2 weeks later...