2001 BMW 740IL WITH SPORT PACKAGE

franco101

Hi guys, want to know if any of you out there has any personal experience with bmw 740 series cars? I always loved the look of them and recently found a 2001 E38 in S.C. for $ 10k it has 83k on clock... Maintenece can be high but I intend to do as much by myself as I can. My conquest has been able to teach me how to do some things..LOL..

Franco

They good cars. Reliable. Some little quirks here and there, plastic stuff inside breaks, cup holder, some buttons on the climate control.

Be sure you do the timing service at the proper interval, chains guides, tensioners etc.

But 10K seems a little high. Run blue book check and see the going price for them.

Edited by louswheel01

If it's selling at a dealership, then the price should include dealer prep and be in excellent condition (for its age of course). Even so, you shouldn't purchase for any more than $9K. If it's being sold by a private owner, chances are it's going to need some maintenance (or be closing to needing it) pretty much right off the bat. As such, I wouldn't pay more than $7-$8K.

Just my two cents.

Nick

WOW! I'm sure it's nothing you want to hear, but the comments on price are correct. I was going to purchase a 7 series about 16 months ago, I could have had top of the line sport package, w/ lower miles, in pristine condition for several thousand less, would have purchased one, but decided due to upkeep costs, I stayed w/ what I felt more comfortable with. Hopefully, your major services, such as 100K have already been included in the purchase. They're great cars, but for some reason, the 7 series don't hold their value as well. Maybe due to the multitude of computer systems they employ. Good luck & enjoy! ;)

Lean the trick to trick the computer on the service intervals..... you set the date in the future or in the past for the car, then do the clear, then set the date back IIRC..... Google for it.... this alows you to clear the service intervals reminders, and keep the functionaly correct for the one's that have not gown off yet. About the only quirky anoying thing I found about them.

Where are you guys finding these cars for so cheep that are not utter abused, neglected piles of trash for that price?

N.A.D.A. clean retail is $10,925 .....KBB is $11,500 clean retail.. I thought $10k was descent. But I would pay to have it transported, probably $600. Dont want to drive 10hrs home only to break down which would cost me way more than $600.. Will probably have local BMW dealer down there check it out cost $200. So if its good Cost 10,000 + $600 + $200 = 10,800..

Franco

2nd one.. transmission problems are 6k for a rebuilt one. and it didnt state mileage and its a 97 not 2001 with nav. just saying, but thanks for the info. I too agree its a little much. I feel it should be 7k but cant find them in good condition for under 9k.

What about a late 90's S-series Benz? I recently got a 98 S420 and absolutely love that car. Most of them for sale are in the $7-8k range for a nice one with lower mileage. I scored mine for $4500 worth of paint jobs and have seen a few others that were real nice in the $6k range. They seem to me to have much better build quality than a lot of the Bimmers of the same era.

I threw up examples of body styles, don't go off what I posted, I looked at the 750 and it was $2k with the V12, but just as any good deal it went super fast. they are normally $4-7k depending on condition, and whoever is charging $6k for a transmission rebuild is hopefully giving a reach around with that service.. unless it's the dealer, which is close to about right. a V12 engine is about that price new from BMW.

I threw up examples of body styles, don't go off what I posted, I looked at the 750 and it was $2k with the V12, but just as any good deal it went super fast. they are normally $4-7k depending on condition, and whoever is charging $6k for a transmission rebuild is hopefully giving a reach around with that service.. unless it's the dealer, which is close to about right. a V12 engine is about that price new from BMW.

"Location, location."

Tell me about it..I just found the same model car in C.T. with less mileage for 8900 which includes dealer fees. And they said if it doesnt sell by weekend there is a dealer in Florida who will take it . They get 11 to 12k down there with this low mileage. Go figure.. 2001 is a big deal tho with the E38 model. it was the last year made and the bugs with the ealier models were mostly worked out. Thats why they are a little more than 97-99 models. Transmission problems werent too common but when they do occur, there are expensive. First the sport models have the auto or manual feature, Second, its a BMW so bend over.

Franco