Car is running... this time for reals

misterdrifter

Ok so when I posted a few months ago... (has it been that long) my motor was in the car and it would crank and run.

Figured out that I was 2 teeth off on the timing chain. Fixed that. Cranked but still ran rough. THEN, figured out that somehow... (i have no idea how).. my plugs on my cap were ordered 1, 2, 3, 4. I couldn't have made that mistake... on the other hand maybe I did. That just amazes me though that the car could start 2 teeth off on the chain AND only 1, and 4 firing when they should....

Anyways, changed the oil that smelled like gas. Cranked it again, and it sounded like pure heaven this time. After running it for about 5 mins, i shut it off to fix a coolant leak. I checked the oil and there was just a TINY small HINT of white foamyness on the dipstick....

I thought to myself... HOW... how could that be. So, I did the following

-retorqued the head bolts to 88 ft/lbs. Up from 72. (they are ARP studs so I figured they should be torqued more since they are pre-stretched. Also, friend said there was a sticker or paper in my box that I should have gotten that said torque to 90-something. I figured 88 was a safe number.)

-re-checked all the timing cover bolts (4 of them on the turbo side turned a full half turn around tighter).

Cranked the motor up again, and ran it. 5 mins. Checked the oil again... no foam? Good, or bad.

Anyways, here is a video of it running with a small walk around. Pardon my roommates profanity.

I still have one problem now, however. The car won't go into gear when it's running.... :( I'm assuming something stupid or small...

Running with walk around:

Some revving

Thoughts? Does it sound ok?

I'm guessing the bit of sputtering is the burnning of the crap in cyl 2 and 3 from when they weren't firing...

Sounds OK. This is a 5 speed that won't go into gear? Likely the hydraulic system isn't working like it should and you're not getting full clutch engagement. Start with bleeding and if that doesn't help look at the hoses, master and slave cylinders for leaks, cracks, lack of fluid.

Sounds OK. This is a 5 speed that won't go into gear? Likely the hydraulic system isn't working like it should and you're not getting full clutch engagement. Start with bleeding and if that doesn't help look at the hoses, master and slave cylinders for leaks, cracks, lack of fluid.

Yeah I did that. I bled the system. Also changed the slave cylinder.

The clutch is engaged because with the car off and in gear, the back wheels will move when i rotate the crank shaft. How ever, pushing the clutch pedal in, doesn't stop this.

I love the slow rev of the g54b lol it sounds so innocent in neutral but when you open them up on 21psi open dump they sound like full blown v8s from hell!:) your engagement problem sounds hydraulic though. Regardless of the fork moving in and out doesnt mean your system is in check, try rebleeding after looking for leaks and adjusting the clutch pedal. Could be the clutch too tho happend on my talon, 2 springs broke loose and jammed the diagphram once. Clutch still went in n out smoothly.

Is there anyway, putting the trans back in that I could have forgotten to do something?

I've bled the system like almost a full bottle of brake fluids worth of fluid. Clutch feels decently stiff...

Would I need to adjust the clutch pedal if the clutch was fine before when the car was running?

And yes the motor sounds wicked mean. I love the idle of a straightpiped G54b

Worn syncros , worn throwout arm pivot, worn throwoutbearings. My 87 5 speed did that sometimes would not shift into 1st when running , at first i could jam it into 1st and then it never went no matter what. New t/o bearing and clutch and amsoil in the transmission and it shifted great.

Thanks! I did that myself. :D

matches the wheels :)

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Worn syncros , worn throwout arm pivot, worn throwoutbearings. My 87 5 speed did that sometimes would not shift into 1st when running , at first i could jam it into 1st and then it never went no matter what. New t/o bearing and clutch and amsoil in the transmission and it shifted great.

matches the wheels :)

Okay, yeah.. The car did sit in a field for 3 years with the throwout beating and pivot arm exposed to the elements....

I guess it's a new clutch kit for me.. Can you pour fluid into the transmission from where the shifter is. I noticed when installing my short shifter that there was oil all over where the ball of the shifter sits...

Yeah... I polished the head shields on the manifold.. and the whole intake manifold too.. I have a sickness.. haha

There are at least two different throw out bearings, the wrong one would cause what you're seeing.

This is my problem. There are 2 different TO bearings and Pressure plates... right? I think I have a miss-matched set installed. I'm just going to order a new clutch/plate/TO bearing set