car dies sits for a while and fires back up

aruggs15

i have an 89 quest runs great go about ten miles and it stalls and if you wait a little while it fires back up wats goin on ? i was going after the fuel pump because it sounds like it may be going out, but some input would be much appreciated.

thanks

i had something similar happen to me, i put an inline filter between the tank and the fuel pump and found out that the inside of my tank was rusting out and clogging the pump. after it sat for a few and the rust drained back into the tank it was ok for a little while longer. putting the inline filter in helped prolong the problem till i found a tank

Then grab a ziplock bag full of ice and open the access panel in the trunk. Drive the car till it dies then ice down the fuel pump for a minute. If it starts back up you know the fuel pump is going out.

Also you could make a jumper wire for the fuel pump test wire. When the car dies energize the fuel pump test wire and listen for the pump. No sound = dead pump.

If you do replace it, DO NOT use the cone filter. Aftermarket pumps have a shorter inlet and the cone filter blocks 2/3 of it. The car wont boost at all because it's being starved of fuel.

These came with a little plastic cone filter in the fuel pump inlet. It was a secondary strainer to back up the one in the tank. They sometimes get stuck in the hose when you pull it off the pump inlet. You can access it through the inspection cover in the trunk.

• 2 weeks later...
If you get 60000 out of a stock pump they will start to go out .... there pumping fuel all the time the car is running.... if you have rust in the tank you wiil all ways have problems... check for rust in tank and fuel filler neck and repair as needed then replace all filters all of them ...3 filtersand 2 screens in top hat.You must run filter before fuel pump to replace cone filter to protect pump from dirt and rust or it will kill pump!!!!!!!! and run a bottle brush thru the 2 tubes in the gas tank pick up tube and return tube.....