Starion crush sleeve

KKruger

So I have decided that replacing the pinion seal may be a bit too big of a job for me. I don't like admitting that, but I don't want to mess up the job. So I started getting estimates. Went to Pep Boys. 2 hours labor at 109 per hour, unless the also have to remove the crush sleeve, which is another 2 hrs. What are the odds they will need to remove the crush sleeve? And why don't i see this part listed in the parts manual?

Thanks

The torque tube has to come out. Why do you think its bad? Its never seen the weather. Its always been oiled. That oily residue came from the spline coupling and it was thrown off the torque tube an weeped through that gap where there's NO GASKET and that grease unless you washed it with solvent won't ever go away and even though what you DO need to do is pull the torque tube off, clean out the rusty dust and relube that spline coupling, that rust never reached the oil seal in the differential. I'd not mess with that seal. One little gouge removing it from using a seal puller and it WILL leak. You have to remove the companion flange to get the seal out and I'd not trust any hacks at some wannabe garage especially the MORONS working at Pepboys. Edited by Indiana

Our differentials do not use a 'crush' sleeve. The pinion 'crush' is performed by using spacers to get as close to a 1:1 fitup between the inner and outer bearings as possible (within .001).

I wish we had crush sleeves on our differentials, would make life much easier.

kev

Thanks for the replies. The reason I am doing this is because the gear lube is leaking out the vent hole in the torque tube. I have been trying to keep it full, but it is getting to be to much of a leak. I will most likely have it done at a rear end shop, but I wanted to get some estimates first.

I really think your pinion bearings are shot...but might as well continue doing what you are doing and go after the seal first. It's odd that you would be leaking that much gear oil. Gear oil is thick...it isn't prone to run out like ATF does in our steering boxes. Either the seal is ripped and there is a gaping hole or your bearings are shot and the pinion is wobbling around....hence creating a big hole in the seal.