Hx35 or Hx40 I can't decide. Holeset only discussion and results.

ucw458

Both seem to be good turbos. Both may be capable of 500 hp. But which would be better on the street? Now obviously it would be cool to have 500+hp. But are you really gonna have it at that setting all the time? I would probably have a 300 hp setting for normal driving a high boost setting for all out racing.

So which would be better for everyday cruising? I don't want to spool at 4k+ rpm. My current turbo spools at 2500 which is too fast. In theory it sounds good but barely touch the throttle and you get boost. Kinda kills gas mileage.

So here's my thought. For everyone thinking of getting a holeset perhaps we can get knowlege and results from those who tried them. So if you have one on your SQ post about it and tell us your thoughts. Help the rest of us decide which one is best for our application.

To start off here's a link to some holeset info.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/120686-holset-turbo-specs-hy-hx-h1c-wh1c-h1e-wh1e.html

Running an hx35 with a tims turbos .63 exhaust side on tbi, my estimated calculation is about 3100rpms at 15 psi. Perfect for cruising for me, And i know that the .63 looses its steam up past 6000rpm but i dont plan on going past that ever:) perhaps a .71 housing from bep would be of interest?

.70 A/R T3 Bep Hx35. Spool is as mr-starion described it at 15psi. in 5th gear just a little throttle gets me 5-10psi. I am running stock TB injection on a MAFT setup. Cruises in the 15-16 AFR range, boosts from the 11-12.5 AFR range.

Im running a HX35 with my MPI, I am also running the stock 12^cm housing. i can have 7-10 PSI at abouth 2700, and full boost around 3200-3500. It pulls well to.. I could send you some datalogs of my passes at the track if that would help you.
  • Like 1

Im running a HX35 with my MPI, I am also running the stock 12^cm housing. i can have 7-10 PSI at abouth 2700, and full boost around 3200-3500. It pulls well to.. I could send you some datalogs of my passes at the track if that would help you.

ok what do you run as full boost?

I have a HX40 6/12 blade in a .70ar BEP, MPI . I start to see boost 2600-2700 Rpms. I see 15 at 3100, and 32-34 by 4000. I daily on 15psi and have no problem driving around. I think I'm the only one with a hx40. It's also importation the u say what blade turbo u have. I have have the billet 6/12. But there are 7 and 8 blades as well

yes it will. most holset's are T3. but some of the older ones are T4. i ran my hx40/bep on a treadstone and TBI. it was laggy but once it come on it was like a frieght train

i dont see a need for any bigger turbo then a hx40 on a street car. Or other turbo's the same size. i ran TBI and MPI, it works both ways. And for those that think they need for turbo on the street, drive mine and you'll change your mind

Edited by starquestJOE