Need some references on pulling the g54b and rod bearings...

Starion871

Starquestgarge is down! I was hoping to find factory removal and rod bearing guide now It seems tobe down....

So Im pulling the engine this weekend and Im in need of some sort of guidence so I can do this in the hope of not damaing anything.

Also Im gonna replace the rod bearings aswell I also need some sort of guide to help me threw the process.

Any help greatly appreciated I want to get her running before winter!

Thanks!,

As for removal of the engine, that is incredibly simple on our cars. I was shocked. I pulled mine with the transmission off.

Before pull the trans you will want to disconnect all electrical connectors from the engine and be sure that they are clear from being snagged. The charge harness is up to you, I pulled mine twice and once disconnected the alternator end, the next time I unhooked everything from the body side of the harness. I felt it was easier and quicker to not have to reach in but your accessibility may be different than mine. Pull the charge piping and intake. Disconnect the exhaust. Make sure the oil cooler lines are off as well as all of the vacuum lines, making sure to not mix them up.

ONce you have the transmission off the engine will rock a bit back and forth but with my stock mounts it held itself easily from damaging the radiator or the firewall. for lack of more accessible mounting points I used one bolt into the rear topside of the exhaust manifold (I have no heat shield and this is likely a mount for it) and one bolt in the distributor mounting tab (I pulled the dist for this). These two points made the engine incredibly well balanced when hoisted without a leveler. Take the weight off the engine mounts and remove the 4 bolts (2 each) holding them. Then lift.

Because my hoists arm was a tiny bit short I had to keep even pressure forcing the engine backwards from the front of the car to clear the radiator but it was nothing one hand couldn't do. I lifted it from the side just in front of the wheel the first time and it came right out. The engine bay is fairly large for the size of the engine.

Now as for the rod and main bearings there really isn't a method for removing them. They are not under an enormous torque load and will come right off being careful not to smack the crank journals with the rod bolts. The crank comes out easiest with the block upside down. Remove the main bolts and wiggle the caps out with a rubber mallet and the bolt as a lever. They come out fairly easily. The remove the crank. Make sure you have the torque specs when you replace them and do it evenly on both sides, checking more than once to be sure they are torqued. Of course check your bearing clearances before finishing up. Make sure the grooved bearign half goes into the block and not the cap. This will help if starquest garage is down.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/

Also.. the mounting points I mentioned and the hoist made pulling the head the easiest part of the rebuild. Pulled with both manifolds and turbo attached. Just pulled the coolant and oil lines connecting the block to the head, then the studs (or bolts) and lifted it right off the block which was mounted to a stand.

I'd pull the head off with manifolds first then pull the block last. You have to take the head off anyway and its much easier to get the block out when the head is removed when you have more room to work. Edited by Indiana

great information man, Kinda sucks that the head has to come off the one I have in there is pretty new lol but if it has to be done lol.I have more questions but my mind is tired was at work till 3am last night lol but Im sure iv got more so I appreciate the information so far!