Running rich?

BILLYPIV

My car has been running like crap intermittently. when it runs bad it's rough jerky just all around horrible drivability but if I'm in boost it's all good if I'm coming up to a stop and push in the clutch the Rpms drop to about a hundred Rpms struggling to stay running till I come to a complete stop then shoots back up to 900 Rpms running smooth till I start driving again. Tested the tps today .3volts up to 4.48volts smooth no blips.

The car had been sitting for two years got it back up and running ran great first couple of days then started acting up. Any help would be greatly appreciated

you have to drop tank...and make sure its clean inside or you will be chasing ghosts problems forever...if there is rust inside you will have to clean it....if its bad ,try to get a good one from some one on here..if its light i used toilet bowl cleaner in side...must have murditic acid in it..will say on bottle..use 3 bottles on inside shake all around and upsidedown leave in for a day or 2.. rince out till only clean water comes out....also when you put it back together ..take off throddle body top and flush hard gas line in car and screen in top hat.and all 3 screens 1 in tank .cone filter in line at fuel pump and the one in engine bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!if small particals of dirt or rust move throu out gas lines it will all ways have problems .....

Try resetting your Idle Speed Control / Throttle Positioning Sensor. With it almost dieing and then coming back to a normal idle at a stop, that is what the problem sounds like. The complete Reset procedure (ISC/TPS) can be found in the Starquest FAQ Forum. Follow the directions to the letter ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Did the Good Car Fairy put new injector clips on this car the day before you started driving it? What Devilish Demon got under the hood and turned screws on your throttlebody and got it out of adjustment while it sat?

I should mention that the car was running good the first couple of days then I couldn't get it started my dad thought i had water in the gas so I added heat to the gas and I didn't have any carb cleaner so I shot some brake cleaner into the throttle body probly not the best idea. Well It turned out that the Maf sensor just came unplugged so that's why it wouldn't start pluged it back in and ran fine till the next day when I started having problems. I've gone through two tanks of gas now was hoping it was just that but no luck. Could I have ruined something by shooting the brake cleaner in there? I'll try resetting the tps and if their are any other ideas before I drop the tank

you said it sat for 2 years.. the gas inside was bad for sure...then you ran it and recurlated all that bad gas through system..after you get it running again.. I would run carb cleaner throu the system for the next couple of tanks...these cars are 25 years old theres going to be dirt or rust inside ... after 9months gas is all ready turning to varnish ...the first thing when you get a car that has been sitting a while is to flush the gas...

You just screwed yourself

Agreed. Do not ever add ANYTHING to the fuel in the gas tank!!!! Screws with the Spark Plugs BIGTIME.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I've added it to all my cars its just isopropol alcohol dosen't hurt anything just gets rid of water in the gas. Also I replaced the plugs and changed the oil after about three tanks of gas.

Good Luck,

Bill

That heat crap turns to jelly and it will never go away but it will clog up any little hole it gets near just be lucky the fuel system is under enough pressure that is MIGHT be able to push through it but it will remain there and the water portion when it comes to rest in your injector will cause it to RUST.

If there's no water for it to bond with it won't make any different. Point is, if there's water in your fuel and its winter you should run it out of gas, leave the cap off and ventilate the tank to the atmosphere and let the water evaporate. You could drain the tank, gas floats. You won't have to drain it all, just some of it.