Cruise Control Malfunctions

Instaboost

Car June 1986 Magna MPI 5 Speed

Both pedal cancel button tabs are good

Vac Hose Routing is good

87 Factory service manual says pre-87's require the speed control computer with the blue label. The one in the car is a yellow label part number MB509089. With this ecu the car can only be set by the resume switch and not the set switch. Once its on it then changes the speed into up and down issues "surging". Friend sent another speed control computer for a later year part number MB510816, car doesnt even respond to that but the diagnotics plug for the cruise shows a constant steady signal which means everything is normal which it isn't. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions, even a part number and picture of the blue label speed controller would help. If you have an extra you would like to sell please let me know.

Google shows the yellow label is for 85/5-86

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

Automatic Speed Control troubleshooting: 1987 Starion FSM vol.1 Section 14-113.

Troubleshooting symptom chart:

Set speed deviates much toward high or low speed idle.

Hunting occurs when speed is set (acceleration and deceleration are repeated)

Probable cause:

Vehicle speed sensor circuit faulty.

Speedometer cable or speedometer driven gear faulty.

Actuator circuit poor contact.

Actuator faulty.

Vacuum circuit faulty.

ECU faulty.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Bump

pulled mine out of my 08/86 starion during the winter----all parts are together in a box in attic----i will look at it when i get home from work and get a pic maybe---u can have mine for cost of shipping if needed-----

gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

• 4 weeks later...

is the surgeing at all speeds or only lower speeds ,, speeds close to 45 mph or so can be up and down due to miss adjust'd mps , tps

also the speed sensor is nothing more then a low voltage generator you can test it's operation for a clean signal with a volt meter ,

durring a road test , the vacuum pump motor can be monitor'd the same way , a flaky signal swt to power up the pump can cause problems with holding steady speeds

both petal swt's are only off on swts,, both on with petal up,, its the same wire going to both swts

excessive cable slack is not good eather