Tires on Non SHP rims

scubanut

Going to be buying new skins for my 87 with 7's in the front and 8's in the back (stock). I want all the opinions as to what works and what doesn't for tire sizes, width, handling, and curbside appeal.

I see the fronts can go to 225/50/16, but the backs, some say 255/45/16, 245/50/16, or 245/45/16! Some say that the wider tires make the rear sway/break loose easier. If the rear sidewalls will flex more being a wider tire, why doesn't the front sway more/feel softer?

I have qoutes for maxis and uniroyal tiger paw, they have a tread wear rating of 400. I have a set of firehawks, stock size on the backs now that have a tread wear rating of 220. I like to break those loose and get sideways every once and a while (they are very predictable). I'd like to get the same feeling and I'm not sure those "qoute tires" are going to do the job.

Again, I'm looking for all opinions!

Thanks,

Chris

245's on the rears is pushing it. They bubble over a little and are a little tuff for the tech to put on. If you go 255, I think it would look bad. I personally didnt care much for the look of the 245's on the 8's rear. To maintain stock diameter 245/45/16 is what you need.

Fronts are the same with the 225's, but not quite as bad. They also play with the feel of the road as they are wider and grip more.

Personally, when I get to restore the body and exterior of my car I will be putting on 8"x19" and 10"x19" and running 215 up front and 285 on the rears (wider if clearance allows in back). Unless someone convinces me otherwise that the handling would be too bad.