Something electrical!!!??

Wattle

Ok, let me start from the the beginning. some time i wing things because i do not have the money right away to get things checked out. So i carried a set of jumper cables if i was to drive the car around. i have an 89 tsi completely stock.. i noticed when i was driving on the highway or any road that when some extra vibration would happen or be on a bumpy road the voltage on the battery regulator gauge in the dash would drop half way and every thing in my car would cut out for split-of-a-second, and the out side; head lights, dash lights, and stereo. some times when i was starting the car it would do this and not allow me to start it up. If there was a powerful jumper around it would work to get the car started. It would then be fine. it almost seemed like it was on a rotation, like as if a starter was going out and it would just catch every once in a while. almost 100 percent sure it has nothing to do with that though. it was just a reference. it also happened once just parked, and i revved it up for a second and it just shut off on me. When it does shut off, there is no clicking when turning the key. There is not any thing, windows don't work, interior lights don't work, head lights don't work, and stereo does not work either. for some reason the parking lights Will come on. i thought it had to do with the ignition on the steering column but that was checked out by a local mechanic and he said that it was alright. he said there is power to the fuse box and the ignition but there is no return to the engine to start it. he said it was a ground or some relay that he would have to track down. It has been at this shop over month now and i am getting antsy, again!!! i hate to have it sitting at a shop because that is a great place for door dings to happen and it seems like this car is a magnet for them!!!

Can any one help me on a direction for things to check out so i don't have this mechanic taring apart my car aimlessly.

The only thing that i did was get a new battery and this worked for a little while until it just shut off on my while driving on the highway and i had to get it flatbed ed to the shop.

Any thing would be help guys. THANK YOU!!

it shows on my page that i am in Virtual mechanic, should i still take apart the dash for any of this? i have all the diagrams and book but i have been so busy that i have have had no chance to look at it yet. Just wondering but i will look all these things up before i get into it.

Check the charge wire from the alternator. Have your alternator checked. The fuse link from that alternator charge wires end at the battery. If a fuse link is all wrinkled or swelled it needs replaced. The charge wire also plugs into the relay box, that connection runs the whole car the fuse link back to the battery is only to recharge it. Might be the ring terminal on the alternator charge wire is dirty. Don't let the lug on the alternator rotate that will tear it from the strap inside then you'll need a new regulator.