About to start it up after sitting a loooong time

Ono

Like to Topic states:

The motor was rebuilt 5 yrs ago, it was filled with the appropriate amount of oil and was in a climate controlled room. A rebuilt turbo and tranny are attached and it's about to be turned over for the very first time. I know, it's been a long time but the situation called for it.

My question is, are there any special precautions I need to take prior to firing it all up? I seem to have read somewhere many years ago about priming a new motor but the search feature is not cooperating, I looked for stickies in Virtual and Adv Virtual mechanic and FAQs but didn't find anything.

Any warning/words of caution/advice before it gets the juice?

Thanks ahead of time.

Rotate the crank by hand, see if its all smooth, replace that 5 year old oil and prime it using the starter. Remove plugs, disconnect the injectors and take off the valve cover. Crank it with the starter until you see new oil coming out the valves. Then put it all back together and give it ago.

First thing I'd have done was pull the head off of it. There's nothing wrong with the oil so why throw it away? The issue would be, what do the cylinder walls look like? Its sitting there with no exhaust on it and some of the intake and some of the exhaust valves were open and just a little air flow in and out with a breeze over those years could have caused rust and it it was oily then its go dirt stuck to it. It the door was open and it rained there's damp air that climate control BS isn't going to make any difference. If it were sealed in a plastic bag fine but I'd still look at it. I'd want to see the pistons. I'd want to know if the block deck was fresh cut. I'd want to see the valves and the head and I'd not give a crap what someone told me.

I had the motor rebuilt, this isn't one bought from some guy who said it was if that's what your referring to above Indiana. I had it rebuilt and I ended up going to work overseas for several years.

Thanks for the advice guys.

There's nothing wrong with the oil so why throw it away?

Oil has a lifespan of about 6 months in an engine. Pulling the head might be unnecessary. It sounds like the engine was kept outside the car so I assume there is no fuel or coolant in it. When you replace the oil you will be able to tell what's going on inside based on how dirty or clean the oil is. No need to pull the head. You can also try peaking inside the spark plug hole. But if you have time and a spare gasket you can pull it to be sure.

Oil has a lifespan of about 6 months in an engine. Pulling the head might be unnecessary. It sounds like the engine was kept outside the car so I assume there is no fuel or coolant in it. When you replace the oil you will be able to tell what's going on inside based on how dirty or clean the oil is. No need to pull the head. You can also try peaking inside the spark plug hole. But if you have time and a spare gasket you can pull it to be sure.

It has a life span of 6 months in a running engine, sitting in the oil pan is just like it sitting in a bottle

Motor oil does have a shelf life. Depending on whether it is synthetic or conventional, it can be stored from any time of two - five years.

Edited by 19cturbo

If the motor oil is out of the bottle and in the engine, it has a lifespan of 6 months. Oil attracts dirt and water. If its been in the engine for 5 year it has a layer of crud and silt in it even if the engine never been run.

drain it. if you think its clean enough, just pour it back in. Its only $30 for some synthetic.

What happened to my oil mixing thread when I asked if it was alright to mix grades? 100+ paged of ridicule after 10 pages of "dont be cheap, change the oil"