Canister below air can?...can I remove it..

03CL55AMG

Not sure what purpose it serves, the canister below the air can it has a few vac lines going into it and I think one going out, I think it may be part of the emissions. My question is can I remove it...if it is needed than I will leave it but if not, I will remove it. My air filter now sits close to it and I want to use the opening in the air dam to funnel air to that area under the hood...where the mystery canister is, but it is in the way,thanks for the help.

Yes, you can remove it and any lines attached to it. It is the charcoal canister. There is a line running to it from the gas tank, if you ever replace your fuel pump you can eliminate all the clutter on top of the gas tank too.

• 3 months later...
I have removed mine, and I was curious about the white valve inline immediately before the canister. After testing the valve by blowing and creating vacuum, It seems that the valve holds positive pressure in the tank and allows air in unhindered, avoiding any vacuum buildup. I have read from other sources that in general a fuel tank requires positive pressure to avoid vapor lock, about 2-3 PSI. I believe that this valve is responsible for that, and have left it inline on the fuel tank vent line. I have also installed a cheap inline fuel filter to protect the fuel tank from particles and possibly keep moisture out. Thoughts? Edited by KKruger