Any Dodge mechanics out there?

Scotty Dont

So I just picked up a 2002 4.7l Dakota 4x4 automatic with a little bit of an issue. When you put the transmission into drive you never feel it engage, bring the revs up and it finally starts to move. Definitely feels like the torque converter is slipping and the fluid smells burnt but color is still quite red.

Are there any other test I can do to determine the problem? If it is the torque converter what parts will I need, I cant see to find much online.

It does have a check engine light on, I'll run the codes and hope a sensor on the transmission is the issue. I'm really hoping its not one of the clutches, I could pull the trans and have a shop rebuild it worse case scenario. I'm just having a little bit of an issue finding parts for this thing online.

It should be a 45RFE trans in that, just like my Ram. It has two transmission filters, on in the pan like normal, and a spin-on, like an engine oil filter. Slow engagement is typically caused by a spin-on that needs replacing.

Change your fluid and filter, see how that does. The 45RFE is a pretty good transmission, so I wouldn't worry about it being burned up....they don't pop like the 44 and 46RE's did.

Tim

yeah I was going to say, burned fluid means change it and see what happens. I've had really bad smelling burned fluid in a trans, changed it a couple times and the trans was fine. Don't assume the worst.

So i checked the fluid level cold and on the dipstick it was way over the top mark, wt....!!! I ran the codes and came up with these.

p0051 Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio

p0732 Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio

p0846 2-4 or 2C Pressure Switch Rationality

p0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

I guess ill change both filters and see if there are any metal shaving in the pan

Its a dodge...lol you need to check it at temperature in Neutral...in Park it will read higher than it actually is.

Also, try the filters first, common problem, if that doesn't fix it, suspect the sensor. Not a bad thing to do the filter anyway. And, there should be a magnet in the pan from the factory.

But...I've saved some 46REs with just a filter change, so...not sure why a 45 should be any different.

Also...turborusty is right...but, hold the odometer switch in while doing that.

Edited by strang3majik

I did check the fluid with the transmissin in neutral and it doesn't need to be at temperature because the stick specs a range at cold and it is way fuller then that, I suspect there is no fluid movement and it is all sitting in the pan showing way over full or someone over filled it...

BAD, where was the switch you replace and where can I get it (part number would be great). Where you having a P00842 code?

Nope...that will do an instrument cluster diagnostic. Just the key cycle is all that's needed.

Turborusty

My Neon I had too :blink:

and...in that case, might be something clogged up. Does that have a cooler on it? The check valves in line with the cooler have been known to go bad and cause issues.

After putting a lot of thougt into it I think Majik is right. The torque converted drain back valve may be clogged, not enough fluid is getting to the torque converter causing it to act like it is slipping and leaving most of the fluid in the pan showing way over full on the stick. I am going to pull that check valve out ASAP!

Scooter,

I have a 2001 Durango R/T. Whenever I don't know something about it I go here: http://www.dodgeforu...odge-trucks-41/ Lots of good knowledgeable guys with great information there.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I would think filter(s), drainback, pump, tc in that order. it could be first gear clutches though, if you drive it till it shifts in second, then let go of the gas and then hit the gas again, does it kind of do the same thing? if it doesn't I would say clutches.

I dropped the Trans pan and the spin on filter wasn't even on, I put new filters on and filled the Trans up. The thing now engages great when put into gear but it doesn't want to shift out of first gear when in drive but it will shift into second if i manually shift into second. Also if i shift into first it doesn't want to go into first it just stays in second.

The codes are p0876 p0841 and p0846

Btw how do I clear the transmission codes? I'm hoping the Trans computer just needs to be reset.

I dropped the Trans pan and the spin on filter wasn't even on, I put new filters on and filled the Trans up. The thing now engages great when put into gear but it doesn't want to shift out of first gear when in drive but it will shift into second if i manually shift into second. Also if i shift into first it doesn't want to go into first it just stays in second.

Btw how do I clear the transmission codes? I'm hoping the Trans computer just needs to be reset.

more than likely just the codes. try disconnecting the battery, should work.

I tried to disconnect the batt for a couple mins and turn the ignition on but no dice. The Trans needs a few more quarts of ATF to be on the hot mark when hot so I'll add those tonight, my buddy is going to clear the codes reflash the tcm and do the necessary pressure checks on the Trans and see how things pan out.

I'll keep updating

Sounds like air. Keep easing it through the gear ranges, and checking it.

Tim