Any suggestions on bleeding a lancer clutch??

89Steve

Me and a buddy have been trying for over an hour to get this clutch line bled. Still getting air. Reservoir is actually OVERfilled to ensure no air is getting in. It's getting better but after 50 times of yelling "UP and DOWN" to eachother and almost 3/4 of a big bottle of brake fluid this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Pressure is getting better and works after 5-10 pumps, but theres clearly still air in the line. Any suggestions here as to what I could be doing wrong? This should be one of the simplest parts of the clutch replacement job :mad:

No pumping, just leave the bleeder open and let the fluid run out on its own. Keep an eye on the reservoir and don't let it get completely empty. Let this happen until you've drained the reservoir like 4-5 times.

No pumping, just leave the bleeder open and let the fluid run out on its own. Keep an eye on the reservoir and don't let it get completely empty. Let this happen until you've drained the reservoir like 4-5 times.

What's the idea behind this? I've read up on gravity bleeding but intuitively it seems that the traditional pumping would work much better. I'll definitely give it a try though

What's the idea behind this? I've read up on gravity bleeding but intuitively it seems that the traditional pumping would work much better. I'll definitely give it a try though

Pumping will alternately push and pull within the line, which can pull air bubbles with the fluid, back up in the line.

Gravity bleeding will only flow one way, thus the bubbles will not be taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back.....which sounds like what you're getting.

Turborusty

Don't pump it like you do brakes. Let it gravity feed then with the bleeder open push the pedal to the floor close the bleeder pull pedal off floor and repeat till no air. This is how you bleed the pita clutches like s10s or old fords.. Also always use a clear hose it easier to see bubble and doesn't let back in like no hose. good luck

T87

Don't pump it like you do brakes. Let it gravity feed then with the bleeder open push the pedal to the floor close the bleeder pull pedal off floor and repeat till no air. This is how you bleed the pita clutches like s10s or old fords.. Also always use a clear hose it easier to see bubble and doesn't let back in like no hose. good luck

T87

So I've now tried 3 methods tonight... Got myself a pneumatic pressure bleeder from harbor freight...didn't really do much of anything except pull some aerated fluid through. Next I tried gravity bleeding. After half hour (and a lot of fluid) with no result I started to have a friend push on the pedal, I then closed the bleeder, he released. I then released the bleeder, let it gravity bleed for 3-5 minutes, and repeated. We did this for an hour and a half. No joke. Got zero result. I had pressure on the clutch for 3-5 pumps but then it just went back to nothing.

It's been years since I've been this confused by a car problem. I have no idea what I could be doing wrong here. I'm going to talk to a friends dad who owns a shop tomorrow but if anyone has anymore suggestions they're certainly welcome.

had an s10 do that to me at shop when I changed the clutch, pump the clutch like your a psychotic about 15 times .. then hold..then bleed.. and repeat. did you try bleeding at the master then the slave and then the bleeder screw like I said?

ok the best way is to have the hind legs up and the frt down , patitance it may take a while ;)

after a short time gravity bleeding , make sure the clutch master rod has free travel, now slowly take short strokes, not more then 1/2" at a time ,do this while watching master cyl resivor for air bubbles,, when the air bubbles stop you will have a full clutch petal