86 widebody engine in 85 flatty

starion1991

Im planning on doing a 2jz swap in my 86 widebody, So I have decided to take the complete running gear out of the 86 and drop it in my 85 flatty. Ill be using the engine, trans and all the lil things out of the 86 like the injectors and intercooler. Now my question is can I use the 85 harness to run the 86 powerplant. Or do I need to swap the wiring harness and ecu in as well?

You'll have to swap the ECI harness as well but that's simple. Its completely separate from the rest of the car, it runs behind the radiator and inside the upper right frame rail and inside behind the heater blower box. You'll need the ECU too.

• 2 weeks later...
Now that I have swapped the 86 harness in the flatty I noticed that one of the plugs on the 86 harness wont plug into the 85's harness that runs under the dash. I am assuming its the dash plug and was wondering whats my best option of getting over this obstacle. Should I rip that harness off of my 86? or do I need to do some wiring to make it work (swap out connectors)

Match up the wiring colors on that B38 plug.

You didn't really need to swap the harness though, it would have ran just fine intercooled on a non intercooled ecu. Everything is basically the same, besides the addition of the IAT in the OVCP, and the H injectors instead of the J.

-Robert

Shoot, If I woulda known that in the first place i woulda never swapped harnesses. Should I just make it easier and go back to the old harness?

But then what would I do about the 86 injectors. I dont have the injectors form the non intercooled 85

Intercooled Vs non intercooled ECU plugs are different. This is why if you get an ECI checker they come prewired with the non intercooled connectors you can't plug it into any intercooled car without the right adapter harness. The non intercooled plugs are both narrow, the intercooled ECU one is larger.

I never looked but is the terminal size in the connector the same on both? You could remove the terminals and swap connectors. I'd have to check both wiring diagrams for any differences.

Non intercooled ECU doesn't have a connector that looks like this

308228_1535629368855_1778479606_795500_1109212207_n.jpg