Some Questions (Please help me out here)

I have a few newb questions.

1. I have this one oil catch can the previous owner made. He had a breather on the valve cover, then one hose on the front of the valve cover, going to the catch can, and one from the can going down and unconnected. Now, I hooked up that loose hose to where the breather goes (as instructed by the previous owner) and I immediately started burning oil and some seal or something gave way and spewed all my oil out. I immediately turned off the car when i heard the horrid ticking of no oil. So, I reverted the process and added new oil, and viola! no more leak, no more smoke, oil pressure is stable, and I couldn't locate the leak because there was oil all over the bottom. Anyways, I contacted him, he says it turns out the catch can isn't the proper one for that turbo. Its a t3/t4 hybrid (ebay turbo). He had it hooked up to his previous turbo (I'm guessing the stock one). Is this true? do I need a specific catch can for my turbo? and if so, which one is recommended? and is it even needed?

2. I found a vacuum plug on my waste gate that goes connected to what would normally be a boost controller, does it make any difference if it is unplugged or plugged? Previous owner said he has a controller on there, and removed it cause he didn't like how it worked (faulty?). So he took it off and left the waste gate open on that end. I plugged it with a rubber nipple just to be safe, but he says it makes no difference. I just don't want a boost leak.

3. Is it normal for my turbo to be so damn loud? Supposedly its stopping at 10psi due to the spring in the WG (need to hook up my boost gauge). When I give it full throttle, its just. PPPSSHHHHH, I mean, it pulls, but damn, its really loud. Its an ebay turbo, is that why? or is it normal cause its stopping at such a low boost?

4. last but not least, is it normal for my oil pressure to go from about 1/4 way up the gauge in idle to about 2/3 of the way up when I'm rolling? Sorry I'm just super paranoid with this. Its my first turbo car, and Im trying to saturate myself in the turbo world. I've been an N/A guy all my life, and can make some serious builds, but....turbo's are one whole new ballpark for me.

ok top rear hose on valve cover goes to catch can and the return hose goes from catch can to the oil pan, front hose on valve cover goes to the TB

If needed i could snap some pictures and send them to your phone

as for question #3 my turbo is factory and its loud when its boosting as for your boost question no idea but according to my factory guage it hits around 11psi but been told factory gauges aren't very accuate

Edited by 86starionIA

ok top rear hose on valve cover goes to catch can and the return hose goes from catch can to the oil pan, front hose on valve cover goes to the TB

If needed i could snap some pictures and send them to your phone

as for question #3 my turbo is factory and its loud when its boosting as for your boost question no idea but according to my factory guage it hits around 11psi but been told factory gauges aren't very accuate

PM'd and yeah Ive heard the same. Mine isn't hooked up. and I have a mustang TB. >.>

I have a few newb questions.

1. I have this one oil catch can the previous owner made. He had a breather on the valve cover, then one hose on the front of the valve cover, going to the catch can, and one from the can going down and unconnected. Now, I hooked up that loose hose to where the breather goes (as instructed by the previous owner) and I immediately started burning oil and some seal or something gave way and spewed all my oil out. I immediately turned off the car when i heard the horrid ticking of no oil. So, I reverted the process and added new oil, and viola! no more leak, no more smoke, oil pressure is stable, and I couldn't locate the leak because there was oil all over the bottom. Anyways, I contacted him, he says it turns out the catch can isn't the proper one for that turbo. Its a t3/t4 hybrid (ebay turbo). He had it hooked up to his previous turbo (I'm guessing the stock one). Is this true? do I need a specific catch can for my turbo? and if so, which one is recommended? and is it even needed?

2. I found a vacuum plug on my waste gate that goes connected to what would normally be a boost controller, does it make any difference if it is unplugged or plugged? Previous owner said he has a controller on there, and removed it cause he didn't like how it worked (faulty?). So he took it off and left the waste gate open on that end. I plugged it with a rubber nipple just to be safe, but he says it makes no difference. I just don't want a boost leak.

3. Is it normal for my turbo to be so damn loud? Supposedly its stopping at 10psi due to the spring in the WG (need to hook up my boost gauge). When I give it full throttle, its just. PPPSSHHHHH, I mean, it pulls, but damn, its really loud. Its an ebay turbo, is that why? or is it normal cause its stopping at such a low boost?

4. last but not least, is it normal for my oil pressure to go from about 1/4 way up the gauge in idle to about 2/3 of the way up when I'm rolling? Sorry I'm just super paranoid with this. Its my first turbo car, and Im trying to saturate myself in the turbo world. I've been an N/A guy all my life, and can make some serious builds, but....turbo's are one whole new ballpark for me.

1. Has already been answered.

2. If its a three port wastgate the two ports that are next to each other, one vac line from OVCP to W/G and cap the other, leave the back one open.

3. Sounds like it just spooling to me.. Are you running factory MAS and rubber intake pipe?

4. Oil pressure is good, what are you running? 10w 40?

Im running 10w30 now (royal purple), and My car has a mustang TB from a 4.6 (not sure what size) and it has a emerald K6 ecu. with MPI and i believe it is MAP.

Ah just looked at you sig picture with an air filter on turbo.

That car pulles great..

An oil separator hooked up wrong and a boost control that didn't work. You need to post some pictures nobody can tell what you are talking about or what you have from the description and that video doesn't tell anything.

reread my post.

Lol no boost controller and the video was just for kicks. It wasn't even a full WOT pull.

Never mind about the feed line. It hasn't leaked. It was just dirty. Apperantly it was some old rubber line that was for the old pcv system which I just plugged up.

It's a metal line coming from the oil pan. If you look at the oil filter, it's directly down from it. I guess with the wrong catch can issue, and it pushed out the oil from there. So with that said, I realized it was still leaking oil tonight (puddle in the driveway). So I check the oil pan, nothing dirty. Turbo, no visible leaks. And I look for the something around the dirtiest oiliest area and found that line laying next to a pool of oil.

Does this NEED to be hooked up? I plugged it abd raised it abovethe oil pan (just about leveled with the head . So I revved it up and kept it there until it built up pressure and no leaks that I see. Oil level seems good, pressure is right. Supposedly it's just part of the pcv and can be plugged because I have a breather on the valve cover.

Any input? Is this fine running it like this? I havent really taken it out since then or made a big pull. I'm kinda nervous.

• 3 weeks later...

My car has a mustang TB from a 4.6 (not sure what size)

fyi the 4.6 mustangs came with a 70mm throttle body. the pushrod 302 came with a 65mm. just my 2cents and the car sounded and seemed to run great in the vid. nice car also.

Edited by Ron Burgandy

fyi the 4.6 mustangs came with a 70mm throttle body. the pushrod 302 came with a 65mm. just my 2cents and the car sounded and seemed to run great in the vid. nice car also.

Lol the 5.0 came with a 60mm on a mustang and the explorer had the 65mm tb and the cobra heads & intake :) those 5.0's were and still are my specialty.