MY ENGINE IS TRASHED! !@#$% to swap or not to swap

zhonclaude99

well my engine has moved on to a better place.(car heaven) and i got the car wanting something that no one had and now its kind of biting me in the arse. whenever i said i wanted something that no one had i didnt realize that i was getting that and also something that no one had parts for. which isnt that big of a deal because it just takes a little longer to get parts. and now that my pistons are fried and the block will need to be honed or bored over depending on the total damage i can not decide if i want to do a swap. i reallllly want to do a 1uz swap. The engines are dirt cheap and very reliable, and you can get oem parts all day long at local parts stores and dealers. plus who can honestly say they dont like the sound of a v8 :lol: . changing the g54 out of the quest is a heartbreak. but at this point winter is setting in and i dont want to ride my crotch rocket in another cold winter. i could have a 1uz engine and tranny with everything ready to swap in just under a 2 weeks depending if i just throw the auto in it or run a r154 or w58. i would more then likely spend a bit more money doing a swap. but at this point i could care less about spending more as long as i have something that has heat before it gets cold because im a wuss! what to do what to do

It all depends on how much cash you want to spend...1uz and w58 is a very economical / awesome swap. I would say its one of the best bang for your buck swap....

302 could probably be done cheaper but who wants that... :)

the 1jz's are getting dirt cheap for an economical swap. When I bought mine it was already swapped but I had a shell I was going to build (still planning to). I'm starting to see 1jz/r154's for around 2,000 and while the sound of a v8 is awesome, jz's have a great sound of their own.

If I could afford a jz I would have one, they sound sooooo amazing! I have a hard time picking between the sound of a huge cam v8 or a jz. But the perks of a 1uz is you can get them for less than 500 bucks! And I can get tranny's for cheap all day long. If I manage to find a jz for that cheap I'd change my plans to that immediately!

It shouldnt take that long, and i have enough gear to ride and be warm in the winter but being the Michelin man on my bike isn't exactly ideal. I figure if I have the engine and tranny in a couple days. Have my buddy wire in a megasquirt unit which should take a couple a couple days. And I can have my own mounts made in a weeks time it should take just under three weeks depending how busy I am at work.

I hope more SQ peeps start going the 1uz V8 swap route , wait till you hear them 4 cams and 32 valves omitted out of a 3'' inch exhaust , aint no other V8 around that sounds sexier than this all aluminum lightweight gem from Toyota . :)

This thread piqued my curiousity in the 1UZ-FE. Is it really as easy as you guys make it sound? lol. Cause that's way cheaper than building a 4G63.

They fit pretty snug in the engine bay. As far as I've researched they are just like every swap with having to build custom mounts and driveshafts. Plus wiring in your megasquirt or whatever you choose to the harness. It's just the engine is alot cheaper and easier to come by then a 1 or 2jz, 4g63, etc... As far as performance parts, you are still going to pay just as much for any aftermarket parts. And there's tons of companies now making supercharger and turbo kits for these things

They fit pretty snug in the engine bay. As far as I've researched they are just like every swap with having to build custom mounts and driveshafts. Plus wiring in your megasquirt or whatever you choose to the harness. It's just the engine is alot cheaper and easier to come by then a 1 or 2jz, 4g63, etc... As far as performance parts, you are still going to pay just as much for any aftermarket parts. And there's tons of companies now making supercharger and turbo kits for these things

Could you use the stock ECU just to run the engine? A blower on a 4cam V8 would be pretty slick not gonna lie.

Other plus points when using the 1uz , lighter kerb weight than stock when done, Toyota reliability , makes for thee perfect daily driver , i get better economy than my 2.6 powered SQz, 23 mpg around town when i can keep my foot out of it , oh and it haulz serious arse when the need arises to . :D Edited by SOTTY

Sotty you have any vids/pics of your car? Do you have w58 trans?

I now own Yokomo's v8 swapped car , it has a R154 5 speed , its build is well covered in the "swappers section" on here , i first saw this car at Mesquite 2010 and was so impressed with the car and Randy's workmanship i had to add it to my collection , all the talk about superchargers and turbo kits for the 1uz is all fine and dandy , i bought this car solely for the purpose of being a daily driver with a almost stock 1uz , it does its job more than very well , i would go as far as to say more than any stock 2.6 powered car ive ever owned , if your looking for a cheap way to go to V8 your SQ then the 1uz should be top of your list ,ive bought a couple of spare 1uz engines since buying this car , a complete engine for $300 and a smashed/running Lexus 400 for the price of the gas to go and get it, a few other sq owners on here have driven this 1uz car , they all come back with huge grins on thier faces saying they " want one"' ! :lol:

I've seen them done in several quests and tons of other cars. It taking him a year was him taking some serious time and effort to work through the odds and ends and finding the correct way to every step. People like him help the process go alot faster by the things they have found out on there build. His post alone covers basically everything you need to know about the whole swap