Wiring aftermarket gauges

81zfan

I was trying to get some info as to where most everyone usually wires their aftermarket boost gauge,temp,and any other aftermarket gauges. I am looking for a power source and a a dimmer,and wanted to get some input before I start hacking on the wires. Thanks, Derrick

I used the rear ashtray light. There are places under the dash. Just be sure to use an in line fuse. Some gauges may not have dimming capability. If you don't have a test light you should get one. That makes life easier when looking for constant and 12+ power. Edited by RF600

I have all the tools needed for testing and doing electrical work. Just trying to get a feel for the location everyone uses to operate aftermarket ligths and such.

Thanks for the info on the ashtray

I haven't wired any gauges into my Conquest yet myself, but I have wired gauges into 3 previous Eclipses. I always use the cig lighter as my 12V power source b/c it's constant and I don't smoke. So, I usually just cut the line and re-route it over to my gauges. I leave the lighter in there, but it's not functional. For dimming, I have always just spliced directly into the dimmer itself, that way the dash lights dimmer w/ the gauges uniformly. I've never used any in-line fuses on my Eclipse's and have never had any problems, but maybe Starquests are a little different. Certainly can't hurt.