Temperature gauge

StarQuestMike

Just got the quest back on the road did a complete rebuild. My temperature gauge likes to randomly max out and then it will go back to showing normal operating temperature after min or two. I don't think my car is overheating think the gauge is just being dumb. I cleaned the connections and put some di-electric grease on them and that didn't seem to clear up the issue. Thinking the CTS may be bad but figured I'd post on here to see what you guys think.

I have an aftermarket aluminum radiator and have the fan switch where the old egr sensor was. Running a 180 thermostat. Let me know what you guys think I should check. Even though I am pretty sure it's not overheating has me a bit skeptical, I don't want to blow the hg of my fresh engine lol.

CTS is for the engine/ecu not for the gauge. You sure you have it on the right sensor. It should be the lower one, the one not in the thermostat housing.

It sounds like your sensor is bad, not the connection... unless the wire is shorting to ground somewhere. They're cheap at the autoparts store or online, you just gotta shop around. (They're not $40 like you were saying)

So, where is "normal" now??

-Robert

That red part on the gauge face is about 250degrees same place it ends up in the "red" for most ANY vehicle.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/gaugetest05.jpg

When your gauge maxes out, your sensor is shorting to ground. Check your wiring, and check the sensor with a multimeter.

http://oreillyauto.c...01392&ppt=C0039

$13.99 and instock at Forest Grove!!

-Robert

Yeah I know the top one is the CTS, and the bottom one is for the gauge, but I noticed when I have the car running and I unplug the wire for the CTS the gauge maxes out, so I am assuming that the bad connection is coming from there.

"Normal" running temperature it's usually sitting just above the bottom mark, the one labeled 2 on the picture you posted.

Edited by StarQuestMike

You got a wiring problem. The circuit for the CTS and temp. gauge have nothing in common. If the gauge sender isn't connected the gauge doesn't move and should just stay at the bottom after the ignition is turned on. Look again, your car may have a second duplicate gauge sender wire that's a single connector. Is that plugged into the switch on the thermostat housing? Unplug it and see what happens. There's another connector for that sensor if that's what has happened.