Alternator - Upgrade

mrvwbug

I'm looking for an alternator upgrade which has at least 105 amps. I'd go the GM cs130 route however I don't want alter my rare 85.5 conquest. So if you have any ideas where to purchase, please help me out.

I've tried the following so far:

Autozone

Advanced Auto Parts

O'Rielly Auto Parts

Rock Auto and others off the internet

I still can not find an 105 alternator where it out of the box ready to go.

Anyone who knows where to get one, please IM me or post it here for all.

Thanks for your support!

Jim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubishi-Starion-Conquest-100-Amp-Alternator-87-88-89-/380356706010?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588f06beda

I got the ebay 100 amp one, so far i am real pleased. Should have done it a long time ago. You will need an adapter or some spade terminals to use this on a 86 or older. By the way it has the narrow pulley and the 88-89 pulley will not fit.

Edited by StarquestRescue

The problem you are faced with is the stock style of alternator case will not cool itself sufficiently to run 105 amps. It will burn up if you ever actually need the 105 amps of charge.

Your best bet is to use the CS-130 case, but professionally built to keep cool at 135 amps or so max. The unit will only charge up to 118 amps or so, but should be able to survive it due to the aftermarket case style that helps it to cool.

In no way will a CS-130 alternator cool itself above 135 amps. There is a combination of parts that will charge that much, but no reputable shop will make it because the alternator will simply burn up above 135.

There really isn't a concern for hurting the original 85.5 for 2 reasons.

1. The modifcations required are easily removed so you can install a stock one again if you ever sell it.

2. whatever modification you made to require the more charging amps, has already changed the originality of the car more than the alternator will, even if you keep the CS-130 on it.

In any case, the CS-130 is an upgrade to the factory alternator and shouldn't depreciate the value any. A buyer who is concerned about that, would be very, very hard to find.

A couple of my friends bought those gm alternators, 2 died within 6 mouths, and they were left with expensive brackets. One is still running.

This does not look like a stock case to me. There are some guys running certain neon or Hyundai alternators. This one appears to have the pulley shimmed out. It is the narrow pulley and the 88-89 pulley does not fit, the bore is to small. By the way is seems delphi injectors and msd boxes do not like low voltage. :lol: My car runs better with the extra amps.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/2010%20Misc/DSC02506.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/2010%20Misc/DSC02507.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/2010%20Misc/DSC02508.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/2010%20Misc/DSC02509.jpg

Yes, there are others that sell a version of the CS-130 that is not prepared the same as my friend's shop does, and they burn up in the StarQuest engine bay. We determined in the original design of the first CS-130 upgrade alternator ever on a StarQuest, that a certain group of parts is needed for it to charge those amps and survive in the Starquest engine bay. So his shop is the only one that builds it as such.

The other alternator in the picture is definitely an upgraded case too. I am not familiar with it myself, but it looks like it would charge 100 amps and survive. Yes, there are those other alternatives that can work, but I don't know anyone who has many thousands of miles and years of use on them like I do the CS-130 units that my friend makes. Therefore, I still believe his is the best alternative that is proven. That doesn't mean those others aren't better. It does mean that there is no better CS-130 version sold by anyone that I've seen to date. Any less quality than what he makes, will not last very long if the car actually needs to charge 110amps. And that is exactly what happens when the battery goes dead, and you get a jump. The alternator will charge full fielded to the max, and run very hot until the battery is charged, which is a good 15 minutes. During this time the car must be driving out of traffic on the road with air gong through it, or it can easily burn up. That's what happens when those others burn up. The car gets a jump and they sit there and let the alternator charge it at idle speed while they chat with each other, and put the cables away, etc... All the while the alternator is burning up. You must either charge it fully first with the other car who's alternator is charging a good battery, or with a battery charger, or get the car out on the road immediately after the jump so that air can run through it to keep it cool. This is why our version of CS-130 stands above the rest. It will last even when the owner doesn't treat it right.

Another reason we chose to use the CS-130 is because it is the most used alternator in automotive history. Any shop can rebuild the case over and over for many years to come for cheaper than most any other alternator. So down the road, it pays for itself over and over compared to the more expensive parts for just about any other alternator. And hopefully. whatever shop rebuilds it, will use the same high quality parts that they find inside of it.