Coolant Temp Sensor

FijiPhil

Hey guys, I did a search and came across a thread that had the part numbers for napa replacement CTS's. I was going to link it but for some reason I cant copy and paste the link here? Anyways, Im looking for one for a friend of mine, the temp gauge on his dash works intermittently and were thinking its due to a bum sensor.

He was sold one from a parts store, but it looks like the one for the ECU signal as it has the oval plastic thing underneath the two prongs.

His car is an 89 so it has the two prong sensor, not the one prong like the 87 and below cars. Is the one from NAPA an ok replacement or is it really necessary to get one from mitsu? And are the one prong sensors interchangeable?

THanks!

Phil

The oval end one is the CTS, you want the temperature gauge unit but not the temperature gauge switch, the "switch" is the cutoff in the stat housing and its smaller with a single wire. Wasn't NAPA wanting almost 100.00 for one of those? Get it at rockauto.com Edited by Indiana

Phil - The 88 and 89's all got a 2-prong, but on a manual car the 2nd prong didn't do anything. If it's an auto, it uses both of the prongs. The 87 and down manuals had the 1-prong you're talking about and that can be used as a replacement in 88 and 89's as long as it's a manual. So, your answer is it depends on what your friend's car is. I used a 1-prong replacement from Rock Auto in my 88 manual and have had no problems ... I think I might even have an extra brand new one if you need it (PM me). The 2-prongs are like 80 for some dumb reason. Edited by techboy

Thanks for the replies guys!

Techboy, I appreciate the offer. His car is a manual but I think he wants it to be as original as possible so ill prolly just encourage him to get that one from rock auto.