Strange, Intermittent, Clutch/Flywheel Sound

89Conquestadore

This issue is hard to pinpoint because it happens at various different times and to different degrees. Here's what I know and what may be pertinent:

-Stock 5 speed drivetrain

-Car runs, shifts, and drives completely fine

-The sound changes from a clunking sound (like something is loose in the engine) to a scratching sound (like the sound bad brakes make) at random times and without any consistency

-75% of the time there's no noise at all

It seems to happen when in gear moving from a stop or coming to a stop. If the clutch pedal is depressed while stopping the noise still happens sometimes but not as often. As you can see, this is confusing to say the least. The only thing keeping me from putting it back on jacks is because it is currently the daily driver and it drives perfectly fine. I'm just worried that such a sound could lead to worse issues if left unchecked. The clutch can engage softly or dropped in and it grabs just fine. The main reason I am pointing to the clutch/flywheel as a possible problem source is because it happens while those moving parts are engaging...

Any ideas?

• 10 months later...

I'm having this same issue. When I'm coming to a stop, I hear like a ticking/chattering noise and if I press the clutch, it goes away.

My car engages fine, but the rear main is leaking a bit and the clutch slips on WOT once it's in 3rd or higher. Can a worn clutch make this noise?

To the OP, ever figure out the issue?

Something tells me you won't be hearing back from the OP. I had a flywheel come loose once and it sounded like really loud paper shuffling, or some kind of light scratching, and it was random, but basically happened upon clutch engagement or disengagement.

Last summer, I had a very similiar sound coming from the clutch. I couldn't figure out WTH was going on until the clutch failed about 1/8th of a mile from home.

It wound up being part of one of the clutch disc spring retainers cracked off when it first stated making the similiar noise described in the OP. The clutch engaged & disengaged fine, however it made the noise intermittently when the clutch pedal was pushed in. It did not sound like the throw out bearing was going out alto the clutch pedal felt very slightly funny intermittently. I couldn't figure out what was going on.

After a week or so of daily driving, the spring retainer finally completely cracked off allowing the spring to fall out on the pressure plate side of the clutch disc causing the clutch to fail. You should of heard the noise the clutch was making then when attempting to push in the clutch pedal! :blink:

Thankfully the clutch disc's spring retainer on the flywheel side of the cluch disc didn't fail. The flywheel would have lunched it then. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN