Smoked Fog Covers

MotoCam360

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for the JUNE SPECIAL:

Since we have so much smoked acrylic from the LED Tail Light project, our costs have come down considerably on the material to make foglight covers:

$25.00 delivered (comes with SQ keychain - flatty or fatty)

sales@themotocam.com

How about I make it up in 2 SQ keychains... 1 of each?

We really don't have a blueprint of what is going to be "on special" each month, or any monthly product special for that matter. The timing just works out because we bought a pallet of 1/8" smoked acrylic for the LED Tail Light project.

How about I make it up in 2 SQ keychains... 1 of each?

We really don't have a blueprint of what is going to be "on special" each month, or any monthly product special for that matter. The timing just works out because we bought a pallet of 1/8" smoked acrylic for the LED Tail Light project.

Wait, you're using acrylic for the tails? You do know that using a thin acrylic in a tailight lens application can result in checks and cracks over time, right? Polycarbonate would be the best way to go since it is scrach and crack resistant, while acrylic is not.

I know we have our differences and I'm not trying to start drama. I love that you're doing the LED tails because our cars need more aftermarket parts, but every aftermarket tail light or headlight I've seen that was acrylic had checks, cracks and clouding within a couple years of owning them (some within 6 months). It's all in the makeup of the different polymers, and given my polymer background, Polycarb would be the best way to go. I know it costs more, but it might be worth it.

I would just hate to see you bring a cool product like the tails to market, then have people have issues down the road, when the issues could be avoided by using a little better lens material.

Again, not trying to start drama- just a little advice from someone who used to be a plastic injection moldmaker and has taken dozens of classes on understanding various polymers and their carachteristics and uses. Oh, and someone who has bought cheap Alteezas and been disappointed by the longetivity of their materials LOL.

Edited by Burton

Hey Tim,

Do you still have any of these available? If not, are you able to make them still? I've purchased your hood struts, air diversion panel, and chin spoiler already and like all of them. Let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Nick

Oh yeah, I'll be using these to cover the new LED fog lights that I bought from 87quest_stv...should look pretty cool with your covers on them.

Edited by Nikolaya

RCM - we mailed you one of each this morning

Nikolaya - your order mailed out this morning (thanks for your repeat business!)

MPGorBoost - your order is packaged up and mails out in a few hours

RCM - we mailed you one of each this morning

Nikolaya - your order mailed out this morning (thanks for your repeat business!)

MPGorBoost - your order is packaged up and mails out in a few hours

Sweet...can't wait to get them...Thanks Tim!

Hey Dodge2004srt4,

I'm not sure I fully understand your response - are you saying it's not important to give credit where credit is due? I am sure we can agree that you wouldn't want somebody else taking credit for the hard work you've done to bring your Thermal Barrier Intake Gaskets to market right? Maybe I am misunderstanding your reply.

One minute you both are attacking each other in public about who's design was first and how it was made, yada yada, when you could have kept the thread clean and been more professional and PM'd each other once one badmouth had to step in and draw you both to blows. Now I see Burton trying to help you and you ignore his post entirely. I dont get it. My response had nothing to do with giving credit to anyone, and to bring me into this mess of both of yours is not right either. Im just a customer looking to buy and observing the professionalism of the sellers. Or lack there of. Dont bring my products into your battles when the only comment I was referring to was the one that was quoted. Stop reading into things. You take offense about my statement and then in the very next paragraph Im asking you a detailed question about your product as a prospective customer. Makes alot of sense.

What would have made sense is listening to BC_99's suggestion of cleaning up the BS which is what I was agreeing on.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_images/master/snapback.pngBC_99, on 07 July 2011 - 05:49 PM, said:

Hey Moto, you may wanna see if Jimmy can clean this thread up for ya. Its not exactly what someone wants to have to read through when looking for a part for their car.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently there's been some mixed information posted about smoked acrylic vs. smoked Lexan material.

We have chosen to make our products with smoked acrylic because it's a much better choice for the following reasons:

• Does not yellow from UV exposure
  • More scratch resistant than Lexan
  • Superior optical quality - does not diffuse light like Lexan (this means your foglights and tail lights will be much brighter using Acrylic)

It is true that Lexan can stop a bullet, when it's 1" thick or more, but that is not applicable for SQ applications.

Acrylic is a bit more brittle than Lexan, but we've sold hundreds of sets of smoked foglight covers over the past 10yrs and never had a member complain that a rock took one out.

Here is some additional background information on the 2 types of material:

Popular Uses for Acrylic:

• Motorcycle helmet visors
  • Spectator protection in ice hockey
  • Police riot control vehicles modifications
  • Computer case mods (windows)

Popular Uses for Polycarbonate (Lexan):

• Compact discs, DVDs
  • Lighting lenses, sunglass/eyeglass lenses, safety glasses, automotive headlamp lenses
  • Drinking bottles
  • Computers: Apple, Inc.’s MacBook, iMac, and Mac mini
  • Cases
  • Riot shields, visors
  • Instrument panels

Key characteristics/differences, Acrylic compared to Polycarbonate (Lexan):

• More likely to chip, less impact resistance then Polycarbonate. (still 10-24 times more resistant than glass)
  • Less likely to scratch.
  • More of a consumer (household) level and is easier to find at hardware stores.
  • Does NOT yellow after time.
  • Better clarity and can be restored to optical clarity.

Key characteristics/differences, Polycarbonate (Lexan) compared to Acrylic:

• Impact/chip resistance is much higher with Polycarbonate. (about 30 times more resistant than glass)
  • More likely to scratch.
  • Substantially more expensive. (roughly 2 to 3 times)
  • Used for more industry applications
  • Bulletproof when thick enough.
  • More bendable.
  • More formable.
  • Yellows over time due to ultraviolet rays
  • Easier to work with (cut, less likely to break)
  • Poorer clarity, diffuses light, can lighten (could be positive).

mine kinda bowed in a lil bit when i installed them, and it didnt matter what lense went on what side... think my bumper might be warped?

and would you reccomend a eyeglass cleaning cloth to clean them?

Edited by joey_crandall

yeah the urethane bumper cover is different on every car and the bowing is common because the material is 1/8". We designed them to be flexible to accommodate the size variations amongst all the different cars with various bumper cover warpage.

The lenses are interchangeable from side to side.

I would recommend a microfiber cloth for cleaning them. Eyeglass cloth will work, but they're usually pretty small.