Bought an '87 TSI, Need Help

Jam Cliché

I bought an '87 TSI a few months back, and she's run into her fair share of problems (~140k miles, I knew I'd need to do some fixes when I got her).

Thing is, I'm not sure where to start anymore. She's had a tune-up, I replaced a few parts, kept her running, but I know there's more to do, and I'm hoping I can find someone with more experience to help. Are there any Starquest owners in the area of Henry County or Dekalb? I live in HC and go to school in Dekalb, and I know my way around a handful of towns (Griffin, Jackson, Locust Grove, McDonough, Stockbridge, Decatur, Lawrenceville, Stone Mountain). If anyone lives around these places and may have time in the future, I'd like to know if we could meet to give the car a thorough diagnosis. We can work out compensation. This is my only car for college, and I know I can't support it. I've listed it for sale, but I want to continue fixing her with what I have until such time that I find a buyer. If I can't give the car a good home, I want to make sure that whoever buys it knows what has been done and what needs to be done to make it perform like it should.

In general, the car needs vacuum lines routed, some body work, a handful of sensors, and likely a few components cleaned or replaced. That's what I am aware of right now. But the specifics are beyond me. I'm not a mechanic. I can work on a car if I'm told what needs to be done, but I just don't know what that is.

Thanks to anyone for help in advance. My name is Allen.

Edited by Jam Cliché

Allen, there are a lot of questers in GA. I live right outside of Macon along with BOHO, 87Blue, and pancake88. Frenchie lives in your area along with Fanta, pure_insanity, starfighterpilot, and another handful of us in the ATL and north GA area. You can contact most of us for help with the car.

Jimmy

Thanks everyone for the timely feedback. I wasn't expecting such a welcome, considering I'm selling the only Conquest I'll have owned. I love 80s cars, but they require so much wrenching! My '87 Fiero GT only ever needed a battery and a headlight motor. Then I wrecked it. :( I just don't do well with these era cars. I manage to screw it up somehow. XD

You can bet that I will. It carries with so much aggression. I took a 5.0 Foxbody at a 30 mph rollout and my friend's 95 Camaro v6 off the line without ever shifting above 4k rpm. Such a blast, but with a new problem every week, I just need reliability to get to class.

You can bet that I will. It carries with so much aggression. I took a 5.0 Foxbody at a 30 mph rollout and my friend's 95 Camaro v6 off the line without ever shifting above 4k rpm. Such a blast, but with a new problem every week, I just need reliability to get to class.

I'll trade ya for a 96 Saturn SC2 5spd! B)

You just lit up my heart.

I. Love. SC.

Specs?

Well its the 96, which is the 1.5 gen. 1st gen body w/2nd gen drivetrain

5speed

Has a kinda ricey spoiler on it. Black

Rims

Full cat back(custom) including a highflow cat

shortram intake

Does need a tranny, which are stupid cheap, I just don't feel like fixing it. It did what every SC does and threw the diff pin.

You're a Saturn guy then?

Hit me up on mah FB homeslice: Mah Facebook

Theres plenty of pics, and I can respond quicker there.

EDIT: I think, in all fairness, I may need to also come up with some money on my end, if this be the route you choose.

Edited by 87Blue

Well, two girlfriends I had drove Saturns. One had a 2000 SL1 and another an SC1 whose year I don't know. They were both very reliable and fun drives for their worth. The girl with the SC1 wrapped it around a tree and only caught a bruise on her shoulder. I drove an SC2 only once and thought it was fantastic.

If I can find an SC2 tranny, I'm definitely interested. I'm okay with Rice. Had a ricey Toyota myself, grew to hate it, realized how much I miss it now.

So, I got the car running pretty well. Clearing backpressure in the cat converter did wonders for her, but I gotta find the source of all the buildup or it'll just get bad again.

In other news, she is driving like she's about to fall apart at even normal speeds. Just rattling to the end of the earth. Aside from needing an alignment and a tire balance, I'm wondering if I have a power steering leak. I can't find anything on Alldata about where to look. Can anyone help?

So, I got the car running pretty well. Clearing backpressure in the cat converter did wonders for her, but I gotta find the source of all the buildup or it'll just get bad again.

In other news, she is driving like she's about to fall apart at even normal speeds. Just rattling to the end of the earth. Aside from needing an alignment and a tire balance, I'm wondering if I have a power steering leak. I can't find anything on Alldata about where to look. Can anyone help?

See PQ's Power Steering SOS MAnual below.

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1147&sid=90b7315b1e75e7f56d16ea35cedf798a

For What It's Worth.

KEN