Loose exhaust valve guides

Loose exhaust valve guides. Can they be fixed be?

One guide i can push up and down with a screw driver. One is dropped some. The other two moved up. All the seals are mashed. Tep hr 70 cam. A local shop put new exhaust guides in it last year.

The head is a ported marnel that other wise should have some life left in it, so maybe it is worth fixing?

Edited by StarquestRescue

Check the guide OD and tell me the size, I can get guides +.002 od if needed. Brian at lower shores ran into this on a marnal head also. said guides needed to be about .002 bigger od.

Dad

My stock guides are .514-.5145 od on intake and exhaust, I have a set of OEM guides .05 OS that check at .516- .5165

Dad

some shops try to install valve guides at room temp,, this leads to the guides expanding the head material and later come loose in the head ,,,guides have to be frozzen before eing install'd this shrinks the guides alowing them to press in the head and then get tighter as they match the head temp

some shops try to install valve guides at room temp,, this leads to the guides expanding the head material and later come loose in the head ,,,guides have to be frozzen before eing install'd this shrinks the guides alowing them to press in the head and then get tighter as they match the head temp

Do as what Shelby stated. But don't leave them in the cooler very long as in overnight. They could absorb moisture and have frost the the OD. Recommend leaving them in for only 15 or so mins. Dad can comment on this issue better.

We toss them in the freezer- maybe half hr, also we put the head in the oven.. to about 150-180 degrees. That's on most aluminum heads,,, usually we just replace the entire 2.6 head.:)

Dad

usually we just replace the entire 2.6 head.:)

Dad

That's what the local shop wanted to do. :lol: The darn thing is cracked in two cylinders to boot. :( The valve guild boars miked almost as big as the o/s guilds so its going to take some lock tight or something. Since its a ported head i talked him into fixing it.

As easy as it is to trash one of these heads, i am really questioning the point in having them ported, on less a guy can do it himself.

Edited by StarquestRescue

I think what happened here is the head already had o/s guilds. I supplied the new ones that were standard, and the shop did not pick up the discrepancy. The guy installed the intake guilds in the exhaust side to boot. It's a shame it used to be a good shop, but the owner is to old and he had a different guy in the shop than i had worked with before.