Vaccum and Boost Leaks

mrvwbug

I'm still new to these cars, but I have recently discovered if any of the following conditions exist on your starquest will probably run like crap.

Boost Leaks (#1 problem)

- Check all your hoses from start to finish. I have found the one from the ovc to the i/c is the worst.

Vaccum Leaks

- All of your vaccum "t" connectors. I have found these to be clogged with crap and dirt from time to time.

- Old and cracked hoses any of which air pass through them. They don't appear to leak, but odds are if their over 25 years old they probably leak.

Vaccum Advance - I make a point of replacing this the first chance I get when I buy these cars.

If your car is cutting out at 32-3500 rpm this could be out. I have found out more times then not.

If anyone else has some other ideas or other trouble spots they know of related to the topic above please let me know.

Thanks,

Slim Jim

My 85.5 is a flatty and has an I/C. But you are correct most flatties don't have the I/C. Should I have posted in the Advanced Virtual Mechanic instead? My intent was learn more about what I have already discovered or other tips. Most of the Starquests I've run into have been modified. Most flatties probably are closer to the original condition is as mine is other than a hot coil and BOV.

Cheers,

Slim Jim