.20 thousands converts to mm

FLATBROKE313

roll'd sheet metal is more likely .060" .0625" comes out to 1/16"

but wasn't most air planes made from alum sheet and not steel for weight

i've been in a B29 but for got to bring along a magnet to check what out side structure was made of

Fixed.

I looked, and looked. I could not find limitations on the soviet Tu-4(The B-29 copy) that you speak of, especially based off of weight increase, which it would be due to metal.

From Wiki

"The Soviet Union used the metric system, thus 1/16th inch (1.6 mm) thick sheet aluminum and proper rivet lengths were unavailable. The corresponding metric-gauge metal was thicker; as a result, the Tu-4 weighed about 3,100 lb (1,400 kg) more than the B-29, with a corresponding decrease in range and payload."

"Tu-4 engineers were under very heavy pressure to achieve an exact clone of the original B-29. Each minute alteration had to be scrutinized and was a subject to a lengthy bureaucratic process. For instance, because 1/16 inch nominal sheet thickness equals 1.5875mm, no industry in the USSR was willing to take the responsibility to produce sheets with such accuracy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-4

Also, common sense, heavier plane cant fly as high or have the same range as a lighter plane. Those landing skids that fall off during take off on the U2 gain it about 3000 feet of altitude.

Edited by Killtodie

From Wiki

"The Soviet Union used the metric system, thus 1/16th inch (1.6 mm) thick sheet aluminum and proper rivet lengths were unavailable. The corresponding metric-gauge metal was thicker; as a result, the Tu-4 weighed about 3,100 lb (1,400 kg) more than the B-29, with a corresponding decrease in range and payload."

"Tu-4 engineers were under very heavy pressure to achieve an exact clone of the original B-29. Each minute alteration had to be scrutinized and was a subject to a lengthy bureaucratic process. For instance, because 1/16 inch nominal sheet thickness equals 1.5875mm, no industry in the USSR was willing to take the responsibility to produce sheets with such accuracy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-4

Also, common sense, heavier plane cant fly as high or have the same range as a lighter plane. Those landing skids that fall off during take off on the U2 gain it about 3000 feet of altitude.

Ok, now at the same time, use your magic wiki skills, and look at the Range/Combat Range of both planes. As well as the total weight of the planes loaded. (Oh, and the ceilings are similar too. (That means they reach the same altitude.) I would agree about the payload differences, but in those days, bombers never traveled as one. Unless it was a good bomb.)

The Tu-4, only weighing slightly less than the B-29, has a further range.

So I dismiss your contradictory wiki citation, and repeat my note.

[Further Citation Needed]

Edited by theRobot

Wow alot of replies the reason i ask is a friend of mine is rebuilding his engine and his crank bearings are .50 and the rod bearings their from engine pro but can't find these any were this is the part number 12-1945AL-.50 any help. Checked dads site but can't find these

Part number 12-1945AL-.50 is Clevites main bearing set MS1945AL50mm.

the reason the Tu-4 is comparable to a B-29 is that the engines each develop 200 more HP for a total of 9,600 HP compared to the B29s 8,800 HP

8800 to 9600 HP you say? Hmm I think I may have to do a Tu-4 or B-29 engine swap into the quest.