Need help finding Engine Rebuid Kits

Black88quest

I see you're new here, so allow me to give you some advice.

I like to think there isn't a "kit", so to speak, because everyone's needs are different.

Which, comes back to you. What do you expect of this car, and how much do you wish to spend? Also, what are your future goals? Have you given any of this any thought?

My personal preferences that I think you may like......

1. Gaskets - Ajusa head, and Fel-Pro for the rest, excluding the exhaust manifold gasket. The factory exhaust manifold gasket has always been a winner for me, it's performance offsetting the cost of bandages.

2. Wiseco Forged Pistons - Going up a point in compression, plus the durability of forged can't be beat.

3. Non-Jet Valve Head - This is a must. Even if you have to go with one of the China heads, (I did, don't feel bad if you do) it's better than the stock jet-valve type.

4. Bearings - Go Federal or Clevite. Good bearings are vital to this engine, as is good machining. Your old Chevies and Fords would run a teency bit of whack here, these WILL NOT tolerate that. Precision is key on your engine bearings.

5. Balance shafts - Eliminate these, and get a FULL balance job. Mine was balanced all the way from the crank pulley to the flywheel, and you can really tell. It may not do a lot for performance, but it does a lot to take away the agricultural feeling these engine have. Plus, I have always been of the opinion that a better balanced engine is a more reliable engine.

My car was built like this, and when I did it, I replaced anything that looked suspect. That included all hoses, all belts, the engine mounts, anything that could be considered "consumable". I also had the alternator and starter rebuilt, the radiator cleaned, and the oil cooler hoses replaced.

I chose the well-built way because I didn't honestly know what my future plans may be, and I didn't want any doors closed. Turns out, that with just a 14G turbo, this engine has been quite a champ for the budget, and the car has never failed to run in the last 5 years, and is a dream to drive on the highway, typically returning 25-30 MPG, dependent of course, on my foot.

Just some things to consider.

Tim

Edited by UlrichWolf

Well put Tim. Listen to his advice, and if you have any questions or needs for parts, get it from Randy (Dad) as he knows these cars and motors as good as anyone around here and can give invaluable advice and service. Good luck and welcome.

BC_99