1988 TSI Adjustable Suspension

ronaldseibert

I have a 1988 TSI and my stock adjustable shocks are in need of replacement. Can I get the originals or do I have to use some custom set up? It's a daily driver except in the winter so I would like as economical a solution as possible. Not racing, but want it right. Thanks. I am sure you have been asked this a million times before.

Regards, ron

You're gonna have to go with stock non adjustable suspension, complete with springs and all. There is no cheap solution to the adjustable struts as only the dealer has or had them.

I think I would prefer to switch over to the non-adjustables if possible as they would likely be easier to maintain in the long run. Does anyone know a parts outlet that I can call and just say I need everything to replace the front and rear suspension? I am not a mechanic myself (so tech info won't be too much help to me personally), but I have a guy who is excellent and knows my car.

I think I would prefer to switch over to the non-adjustables if possible as they would likely be easier to maintain in the long run. Does anyone know a parts outlet that I can call and just say I need everything to replace the front and rear suspension? I am not a mechanic myself (so tech info won't be too much help to me personally), but I have a guy who is excellent and knows my car.

Good luck, its all mostly unavailable unless you want so crappy Gabriels or Monroes which are too soft and will blow out in a short time. Your best bet is to find someone else to rebuild them if you are not mechanically inclined.

Why are you guys complicating things so much? The guy said he wants an inexpensive solution and is not mechanically inclined. :rolleyes:

Basically, the adjustable springs are not the same as the non adjustable, the adjustable struts when they are blown are basically garbage. That is unless you want to spend the time to remove them, box ship them to the person on here who say's he's rebuilding them, then wait for them to be shipped back.

Best solution is just to grab a used set of non adjustable front struts with spring and with spindles, a rear set of struts with springs. You can then buy new front strut shock inserts and buy new rear struts to get it all done. Or simply see if someone on here has some good used front and rear non adjustable struts they want to sell, something that you'll just slap on and off.

Take a look at the service manual

Front http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_02_-_front_suspension.pdf

Rear http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_17_-_rear_suspension.pdf

Edited by louswheel01

its easy to do the shp's. i have only done it once on fronts but it went like this..

they where blown and all leaked out so i took em apart by just unsrewing the top and dumping out the old fluid. thare was hardly any in one of them, wich was sorta expected as the right front corner of the car bounced like crazy. anyway i put 5 weight synthetic motorcycle shock oil in the strut and it works great. adjustments work too.

supposedly people had used auto trans fluid and brake fluid to. the motor cycle shock oil is high tech and doesnt foam so you dont "need" the nitrogen charge.

says who??? lets see one documented case of it... :rolleyes:

i agree. it was trilogy turbos that did 'em a while back. especially as far as parts and the seals like where to get em. and the internals of the SHP'S have oil flow contril washers at the bottom, so a person could make the shock firmer on compression or rebound.

You're gonna have to go with stock non adjustable suspension, complete with springs and all. There is no cheap solution to the adjustable struts as only the dealer has or had them.

remember he can also cut off the shp knobs and just drop inserts in the housings. that is a popular way of doing it. the shps have removable gland nuts and threaded housings.

Edited by JohnnyWadd