driveabilty issues 89 quest

mr.andaya

i have plugged all vac ports except for the most forward one(and fpr one), i have installed a new vac line to the advance. cts connector is correct. i havent done anything to the injectors but i will replace them with a set or spare injectors on wednesday. i will also check the conical filter that's infront of the pump. if that checks good i will replace the pump with a known good pump. hopefully that would fix it, if so i will replace the fuel injectors with the old ones and see if the problem comes back. if not i will replace the pump with a new unit(PQ's bosch), and also change the intank filter, inline filter and under hood fuel filter(again). i think this prob is fuel related, and hopfully ill figure it out on wednesday.

thanks everyone

-joseph

You need a hose from the intercooler plumbing to your wastegate actuator too.

You must use M and L injectors you can't use H or J or a combination of any of those letters or any others like a K, except M and L for your 87+ ECU.

Why waste time replacing a fuel pump if you are using dirty injectors? Unless you sent them off to be cleaned then they ARE dirty. You can look at that cone thing if you like but I don't think that's your problem. The car sat for a long time, those injectors were dirty from 15 years ago and they still are. Its inexpensive to have them cleaned. If that pump is running what more do you expect it to do? Is it growling and changing pitch or just a steady whine? All you have to do is slightly mash on the return hose from the throttlebody to increase fuel pressure and the pitch of the pump will change a little. If you have that gauge you used for sucking on the vac. adv. and it also has pressure, put 15psi on your fuel pressure regulator hose while the pump is just running via the pump test port, not the engine running and listen to the pump. That will cause the pressure to increase from 36 to 51psi.

The car should start, idle and rev up with only the L (its black) plugged in. It shouldn't matter if the M (blue/green) is plugged in unless you make a quick throttle increase, are at high rpms or under boost.

I don't remember, but what spark plugs were you using?

i am using BPR7ES-11, i want to figure out the problems with what i have.... if its the injectors then i will get them cleaned. the problem went away last night and came back this morning lol i flushed the fuel lines today and changed the fuel filter again. still has the same problem. it weird tho, ithe problem didnt resurface this morning until i started messing with the overdrive button.... coincidence? i donno. could it be the blue injector? it seems to happen about 2000-3500, no matter what speed. i havent swaped the injectors yet.

i changed the injector clips again last night, i thought the ones i had werent doing the job. when i unplug the blue injector it does what i describe but if you keep gasing it it all most dies. i def think its the blue injector now, what do you guys think? feels like its running outta fuel.

thanks

-joe

So I haven't been able to work on the car until yesterday. I changed the injectors and drove it around, I thought I fixed the prob until I was driving on the freeway this morning. So it seems I can drive at about 40 mph with a few issues bit at freeway speeds it acts up. Also it seems fine when it's cold, probs happen when it warms up. I haven't checked codes but I will this weekend. So I was thinking what would happen if the idle switch was malfunctining? Would that cause a prob like this??

Thanks again guys

-Joe